• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Wanted: Original early bay wheels

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leslie

Reaction score
Hello Earlybayers,

I'm looking for a restored/easily restorable set of original early bay wheels for my 69 westy. Any offers?

Many thanks,
Leslie

Advice and/or eBay, etc. links more than welcome.

Thanks again,
Leslie

You may be best to source any set of wheels and then have them done to your spec. I had a set stripped and painted for about £90, add some new hubcaps and possibly stainless beauty rings and you have some great wheels for around £200 all in.
When looking at used wheels just check for bad kerbing damage, deep pitting and/or missing broken hubcap clips. Rims are date stamped if you particularly want a true matching set. Expect to pay about £10 a rim in 'used' order (ie needing a full refurb!). :)

Affraid ive only got one, it is in perfect condition though with a legal white band tyre on it and all the correct hud cap clips. Yours if you want it £20
I sold the other 4 for £100 and got my hand snapped off so condition is everything.
Where abouts are you.

Hey Clyde,

Thank you kindly for your offer but I'm afraid one wheel is not a whole lot of use to me at present as I am looking for a complete matching set.

I'm in Manchester if you hear of anything though.

Thanks again,
Leslie

@ ooro,

Waiting to hear back from 'grazy'.

Thanks for the pointer,

Leslie

@ Clem,

"When looking at used wheels just check for bad kerbing damage, deep pitting and/or missing broken hubcap clips."

Good advice, thank you. However I can't help asking, how would one go about describing pitting?

Many thanks,
Leslie

leslie said:
@ Clem,
Good advice, thank you. However I can't help asking, how would one go about describing pitting?

Many thanks,
Leslie

If they have rusted badly in the past the corrosion will 'eat' away at the metal. If its very bad, when the wheels are stripped or blasted ready to be painted the metal will be pitted and uneven .... on bodywork this can be corrected by filler, but that cant be done on wheel rims because of the heat (I think?), so youll end up with shiney painted but pitted wheels. Surface corrosion is ok and will clean up well, but heavily rusted wheels may be damaged beyond reasonable repair.

Hi do you need wide five or narrow fitment?
I have a set of four. narrow 5 fitment.
Im open to offers as they have been left here at my house by a friend to sell for him.

Out of California I'll sell you a set of four shot blasted and primered with any broken clips replaced for $200. Shipping inside a bus would be cheap, collection near Nottingham or Sussex. Let me know if you can't find any locally!

Attachments

• DSC02524.JPG
    DSC02524.JPG
    136.9 KB
  • DSC02525.JPG
    133.1 KB
  • DSC02526.JPG
    119.2 KB

Latest posts