• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Wanted - wiper spindles for 68 Bay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TallPaul

Reaction score
As it says, I need some spindles for my 68 Bay.

Anyone know where I might find some?

Ta :wink: :D

As far as I know, the wiper assembly was a "one year only" item in '68. Try fbivw in wales. If I were you, I'd look into reconditioning the existing ones if they're not too bad...whats wrong with them?
If its just that the wipers are all floppy, there is an easy fix

boatbuilder said:
As far as I know, the wiper assembly was a "one year only" item in '68. Try fbivw in wales. If I were you, I'd look into reconditioning the existing ones if they're not too bad...whats wrong with them?
If its just that the wipers are all floppy, there is an easy fix

The nearside wiper (driver's side as LHD) has about 6 inches free play in it when resting. When moving, it flies off the edge of the screen, gets caught on the rubber, the arm bends alarmingly and then it flies back onto the screen :shock:

I found this out halfway into a 250 mile journey to Cornwall in the pissing rain :lol:

What's the easy fix?

You'll never believe me but EXACTLY the same thing was wrong with mine...and mine is a '68 as well, LHD too.

I was driving my newly bought bus back from Devon, through Wales to Ireland and yes, it rained.
The left wiper was, as you say, going off the side of the window, hitting off the rubber....my wiper arm actually broke in the middle because of all the bending. Tried to source a new wiper arm and they cost minimum £35 for the wiper arm cos its unique to 1968 models. I ended up welding it.

Anyway, the reason that the wipers are so darn wobbly is that there has been 40 years of wear and tear. Chances are that the spindles are fine. On mine, the little screw that holds the wiper onto the spindle shaft is too short to tighten on the spindle stub. This makes it impossible to have tight wipers.

The easy fix.....

Buy two 5mm grub screws about 16mm long (ya know the ones with an allen key socket in the top) I got mine from a local tractor parts place.
A normal 5mm bolt won't work cos the head will get in the way of the wiper arm spring.

Take off the wiper arms and throw away the two little bolts that held the wipers on. Use the longer grub screws instead.

I found that in order to position the wipers at the right angle, I had to file a "flat bit" on each spindle where the grub screw was gonna go. It was trial and error to get the right angle so both wipers looked right. Tighten the life out of the new grub screws and re-tighten them several times for the first week or two until the little nub on the end of the grub screw makes a little hole for itself.

IMG_1192.jpg

IMG_1193.jpg

boatbuilder said:
You'll never believe me but EXACTLY the same thing was wrong with mine...and mine is a '68 as well, LHD too.

I was driving my newly bought bus back from Devon, through Wales to Ireland and yes, it rained.
The left wiper was, as you say, going off the side of the window, hitting off the rubber....my wiper arm actually broke in the middle because of all the bending. Tried to source a new wiper arm and they cost minimum £35 for the wiper arm cos its unique to 1968 models. I ended up welding it.

Anyway, the reason that the wipers are so darn wobbly is that there has been 40 years of wear and tear. Chances are that the spindles are fine. On mine, the little screw that holds the wiper onto the spindle shaft is too short to tighten on the spindle stub. This makes it impossible to have tight wipers.

The easy fix.....

Buy two 5mm grub screws about 16mm long (ya know the ones with an allen key socket in the top) I got mine from a local tractor parts place.
A normal 5mm bolt won't work cos the head will get in the way of the wiper arm spring.

Take off the wiper arms and throw away the two little bolts that held the wipers on. Use the longer grub screws instead.

I found that in order to position the wipers at the right angle, I had to file a "flat bit" on each spindle where the grub screw was gonna go. It was trial and error to get the right angle so both wipers looked right. Tighten the life out of the new grub screws and re-tighten them several times for the first week or two until the little nub on the end of the grub screw makes a little hole for itself.

IMG_1192.jpg

IMG_1193.jpg

Boatbuilder - thank you for a great reply. I'll give it a go :wink: :D

Latest posts