Westfalia Rear Tent.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clyde

Reaction score
Would anyone be interested in one of these if they became available as a top quality repop.
They are mega rare (westfalia ones not the Dutch Amesscador ones)

Like this one

http://www.kookymathteacher.com/rearender/rearendtent.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They are rare beasts indeed. :)

Saw one or two home made ones with support legs a few years back where the bed had been designed so one could leave the bench seat in place and clamber over it into bed. Not very secure though :lol:

I think these would be a good seller if they were just the tent (full length) for use as a shower or changing on the beach etc. I'm not sure about the whole extension piece.

They can be used for a extra sleeping area allowing you to leave the rock and rollin its up position. They can also be used to throw all your stuff into giving you more room and still using the rock and roll bed, which to me seems a better option.
I suppose security could be a problem but no more than having all your gear in the awning, and you would drive off for the day and leave that on its own. How often do you leave the van?

Im not reproducing these but have been asked to see if anyones interested for a fella that might.

Spoke to plenty of Dutch Amascador owners using the same sort of tent and they seem well happy with the lay out.

Main advantage for me is I could sleep up the other end & let my feet hang out in to the awning. :lol:
Just for that luxury I would be interested. :D

I would find dropping out of that at three in the morning pissed up fairly dangerous,so im out !!!!

clyde said:
They can be used for a extra sleeping area allowing you to leave the rock and rollin its up position. They can also be used to throw all your stuff into giving you more room and still using the rock and roll bed, which to me seems a better option.
I suppose security could be a problem but no more than having all your gear in the awning, and you would drive off for the day and leave that on its own. How often do you leave the van?

Im not reproducing these but have been asked to see if anyones interested for a fella that might.

Spoke to plenty of Dutch Amascador owners using the same sort of tent and they seem well happy with the lay out.
so what stops the bed part from crashing to the floor when you get on it with no support legs??
how is it waterproofed on side edges??
if price was keen i would say yes!

:sick0019:

You can get a new one here:

http://www.flyawaydesignsonline.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I like them :msn4:
LV

Lordain Volley said:
You can get a new one here:

http://www.flyawaydesignsonline.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I like them :msn4:
LV

That is nasty............looks like one of those plastic green houses they sell in poundstreacher.

The base is supported by two arms that connect to the van, check out the pictures.

How about adding sides going all the way down for storage space under the bed?

Something like this:
tentmock.jpg

re3.jpg

I also found this picture

rearend.gif

from here

http://tents.wetwesties.org/loaves.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rear-Ender

A few years ago, Harris Upham described a tent that attaches to the rear end of a non-camper VW van. It includes an extension to the rear luggage area that makes a bed behind the back seat.

Meanwhile, this image was sent to me by alert reader Dan Soiney, who said:

"This tent was made by Westfalia for use on passenger vans. This tent allowed people to camp in their passenger vans by providing an extra 3 feet of legroom. It is held on the car by two small brackets on the car, as well as two supports which hook over the hatch supports. The neat thing about this setup is that the tent uses the westy screen snaps. Everything lined up perfectly when I snapped it on the car! This tent makes the bottom bed in a westy usable for tall people."

(The other tent in the image is a "Drive-Away" tent.)

More pics arrived 8/1/02 from Jamie Auch. See the pix at this location. Jamie says:

"The alcove adds an additional three feet on the back of the bus. My guess, the rear ender was made for passenger buses without the z-bed. It is very strong. the base has two tongues ( for lack of a better word) that slip into two brackets, then there are two arms that hook onto the hatch's hinges, then there are two more rods that attach to the bottom of the hatch. My plans are to put a full length z-bed in my '71 Deluxe (for my wife and me) the rearender for one of my girls, and a child cot over the front seats for my other daughter.

Interesting stuff, but not for me. :)

Like it...have you seen the modern day equivalent??? :roll: :roll:
http://www.blogcdn.com/uk.autoblog.com/media/2012/02/dbmumbles1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That is nasty............looks like one of those plastic green houses they sell in poundstreacher.

The base is supported by two arms that connect to the van, check out the pictures.[/quote]

got to admit when u said nasty i was expecting something poor but lol i nearly fell off my chair in fits of laughter :lol: ....who in there right mind would use that its terrible :lol: :lol:

Latest posts