westy 70 anti roll bar on narrowed beam

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MIKER

Reaction score
Chaps,can anyone please tell me what is normally done to anti roll bar when you install narrowed beam,can you buy an adjustable width one or do you modify your own any info would be great. thank you

Cut a piece out the middle and weld back together with a sleeve is the only way I know of.

The extra stiffness resulting from this is no bad thing since the narrowing will cause reduced roll stability.

I have also seen the ends being bent round when heated with a gas or oxy-acetylene

I intend to cut and shut mine - there's a guy on ssvc that gets the cut ends machined and then welds them together

Thanks all those who posted,Gadget thanks for your info,good luck with sale!

Grazy said:

Well -- eerm... there is something to consider / bear in mind here.

The anti roll bar is there not only to reduce body roll - its other function is to induce some understeer, to help balance the vehicle by partly compensating for the rear bias weight distribution.

On the limit of adhesion these vehicles tend to be a bit tail happy anyway and hence, ditching the roll bar, will make it even more likely to let go at the back. Without the roll bar this can be alarmingly sudden and can catch out the driver.

Trikky2 said:
Grazy said:

Well -- eerm... there is something to consider / bear in mind here.

The anti roll bar is there not only to reduce body roll - its other function is to induce some understeer, to help balance the vehicle by partly compensating for the rear bias weight distribution.

On the limit of adhesion these vehicles tend to be a bit tail happy anyway and hence, ditching the roll bar, will make it even more likely to let go at the back. Without the roll bar this can be alarmingly sudden and can catch out the driver.

Well I have not had one for three years and all seems well , Thanks for your concern though ;)

Everyone I know who runs a narrowed beam does't use one. I guess if your beam was only slightly
narrowed (2") then maybe you could adapt one but most go to at least a 4" narrowed beam.