Westy baltic birch headliner replacement

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cymrusteve

Reaction score
Attempting to replace the plywood headliner in a 71 Westy. I don't have good original ceiling panels to use as templates - water damage for one, and the "originals" didn't fit well anyway. PO had the grain going the wrong way and covered the ply in cheap white vinyl.

I've cut the rear ceiling panel to 50.5" wide, which fits perfectly under the roof opening towards the center of the bus, but it looks like the width of the panel should taper towards the rear. Any idea what the taper should be?

In addition, the challenge with the front ceiling panel is the curvature at the windshield end around the sun visor mounts and rearview mirror. Does anyone have a template of this front section? Would anyone be willing to trace the curves onto paper and scan as pdf's?

Apologies for the requests - trying to get the headliner up and in place while the interior has been removed for a refresh.

Thought I remembered reading something about the taper of the rear panel. Should have bookmarked the topic and now can't for the life of me find the thread.

TIA,

--Steve

[Also posted at thesamba.com]

im fairly sure grazy on hear sells very good templates.

pm him im sure he will be able to he sort you some out :mrgreen:

hopeive got the right person :roll:

Not sure if its what you're after. Have you tried these guys?

http://www.morecambeandwize.co.uk/vanhire/parts/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=6&Itemid=64" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I bought a set of panels for my tin top. I also had a set of templates from Grazy which provided a good reference point when the panels arrived.

Needed a bit of fine tuning but thats only because there was no headliner / original fittings in the bus to work with, I was starting from scratch. Pleased with the result though.

N.

Hi there,
Havent posted for some months, but ive just replaced my original panels after stripping the original white paint and staining and varnishing them (1972 campmobile)
I have to say the originals i have are the d**gs b*******s and ive had a number of comments on how good they look. Unf however they are in the van and we are off to France in 5 days. They will be removed at some stage during the winter and i could draw templates for you but probably not much good for you now....

One interesting point. The front roof panel was damaged and we tried to get 3mm ply but struggled, and in the end my chippy dad repaired the original panel over a couple of weeks. the correct thickness of ply is not cheap and is usuallly only special order.......

You can get 3mm birch ply in 5'x5' sheets from Peter Bensons in Darwin Lancashire. They charge just over £10 a sheet and will get it for you next day.

Latest posts