Westy Trailer Help Please...........

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turkish

Reaction score
I have recently purchased a Westy Trailer

see thread here : http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=35214" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The intention is to strip it down, replace bits as necessary, paint and rebuild.

My questions are:

1) Who are the experts on here for these things?
2) Where can i get spares?
3) What would it have looked like new?

Thanks peeps

couple of websites that i used when i had one.

http://www.westfalia-trailer.eu/en.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.4-flight.co.uk/taxonomy/term/2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you want to make it original (or close to original), from what I can see in the pictures, the following should be done:
- The galvanised metal should be "blank", not painted, so strip the paint
- The wood shouldn't be painted but varnished (mahogany), also those round thingies to fasten goods on the rack should be blank (they're grey plastic right?)
- Fenders are too big, they should fit within the swingarm
- Fasteners don't seem to be original, same goes for the 2 fixed rings in the 3rd picture.

Does it still have the lock (and key)? What does the rear look like? it doesn't have a dropdown tailgate, or does it?

These are restored and close to original (the right one has the wrong lights and the metal seems a bit too shiny):

IMG_2992.JPG

So there should be a lock on center of the lid (under the "W" of the rack where there is a rusty spot), i think made by ABUS (my trailer has one made by ABUS (but no keys :| ), but mine is from the 60s) as you can also see on the restored one with the lid. The catch is still there, correct? Lock will be hard to find, maybe if you can find a parts trailer. So if I where you, I would leave the fasteners on it.

Rear lights are a bit hard to see, but are they like the ones on left trailer in the picture I posted? Made by Jokon? if so, they're the correct ones.

Otherwise, just remove all that paint, revarnish the wood, find some matching fenders and you're good to go!

So are the catches at each end holding the top down original??

Thanks for your help, I'll put some pic up as I go

Turkish said:
So are the catches at each end holding the top down original??

Thanks for your help, I'll put some pic up as I go

Sorry, I meant the catch for the lock in the middle is original. I don't think the catches at each end are original (never seen them).

The OG mudguards are fiberglass on the later models (the ones with the "W" rack rather than the westy style bars) They are almost imposible to find and i ended up repairing mine.
The lock in the centre should be Abus and mine was missing its key so i fitted locking catches either end (more secure). The correct finish for the frame is galvanised........mine was pitted and rusty in places hence the decision to go painted.
The suspension rubbers are available on German ebay most of the time as are wheel bearing kits at a price.
The original wood was not varnised on mine but waxed. It was ply with a strange vaneer on it. Couldnt replicate it so replaced using marine ply, stained and varnished.
The spare wheel on mine is mounted under the trailer on a drop down clamp, i just moved it from one side to the other to make it more suited to UK roads.

DSCF3131.jpg

Wasn't the wood film faced plywood (i believe this is the english term for it)? It's plywood with a plasticy top layer that until a few years ago was used for almost all trailers, and now they still use it a lot for the floors of trailers.

Something like this
betonplex.jpg

That looks like the stuff, didnt know you could still get it. Is that stuff weather proof though!! It could explain why you see so many trailers with blown ply.

In principle it is waterproof, but of course if the manufacturer doesn't treat the end grain correct, moisture will get into the end grain and screw up the wood. Or if you have standing water in the trailer for a long time it might get into the wood. Or of course if the top layer gets damaged.

clyde said:
7DSCF2469.jpg

Spare tyre holder.

Hi Clyde

Could you send some more pics of how this all works as i might try and incorporate on mine so i can fit a gas bottle frame where my wheel currently is

Cheers!

It might be phenolic plywood they used. Often used for advertising hoardings and the like as it is so robust outside..

http://www.knowledgegalaxy.net/phenolic_plywood/phenolic_plywood.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I just acquired a South African built trailer with the identical chassis to the Westfalia Essen, but with an aluminium body.

Can someone explain to me what kind of bushing is in the pivots on the swing arms?

trailer01.jpg

trailer02.jpg

When you remove the wheel (a cir clip holds it on) you are faced with a nylon bush that you need to remove. It has another one on the back of the wheel and im pretty sure they arent available new so take it easy and if they wont move dont use any heat.

Never seen this, but there could be a small chance that they use the same bushings as these westfalia trailers (apperently some south african bought some rights or something from westfalia, maybe this is his company?) Can you measure the axle? (or even better the flange of the bushing between the axle and the swingarm)

clyde said:
When you remove the wheel (a cir clip holds it on) you are faced with a nylon bush that you need to remove. It has another one on the back of the wheel and im pretty sure they arent available new so take it easy and if they wont move dont use any heat.

For the "Essen" trailers new bushes are available.

clyde said:

Thanks. Are you referring to the wheel, or the swing arm pivot?

If they're nylon bushes they shouldn't be too difficult to fabricate?

Micke said:
Never seen this, but there could be a small chance that they use the same bushings as these westfalia trailers (apperently some south african bought some rights or something from westfalia, maybe this is his company?) Can you measure the axle? (or even better the flange of the bushing between the axle and the swingarm)

Interesting. The trailer is 600km from me and it'll be a few months before I have it in my hands to measure anything.

Latest posts