what carbs on a 1914

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and a full house ^^^^^WHS^^^^^ :wink:

slammedresto said:
are these any good, Twin Empi Kadron 40s with single choke :wink:

anyone used em before??

They are great for power, but aren't so good on a bus as they can be a bit juicy.

speedwell68 said:
slammedresto said:

anyone used em before??

They are great for power, but aren't so good on a bus as they can be a bit juicy.

so would weber 40,s be better then??

they are all EMPI Webers now arnt they, are they any good??

slammedresto said:
speedwell68 said:
slammedresto said:

anyone used em before??

so would weber 40,s be better then??

they are all EMPI Webers now arnt they, are they any good??

IMHO genuine Weber IDFs or Dell'orto DRLAs would be best. I have heard bad things about the EMPI HPMX repro Webers. Kadrons are made by Solex and just supplied by EMPI, the trouble with the Kadron is that it is single barrel carb and not dual barrel like the Weber or Dell'orto so it will not be as efficient. My mate had just fitted Kadrons on his Baja Bug, for which they are great as he is not hauling around a heavy bus.

Read this...

http://waitresses.servebeer.com:81/vwpage/hpmx/hpmx.htm

as speedwell says, I got old set of Kadrons on my 1600 buggy...goes like the clappers drinks like a fish
Been running with a pair of rebuilt dell 40's from pointbreak on a 2lt type 4
no trouble , but the best I got was a 19 mpg (also got lead-foot syndrome)

right, decided on genuine twin weber 40 idfs 8)

but running on the standard 1600 for now :wink:

just cant justify the expense on a 1914, as the 1600 is a good runner

should go ok

would i need any extra cooling etc, or can i just run it as is with the carbs

slammedresto said:

should go ok

Temp guage would be good but extra cooling.............personally......i wouldnt waste the bucks on it.
1600 should run fine..........extra cooling may infact do the reverse and make it run too cold or atleast take it ages to get to operating temps.

maddog said:
slammedresto said:

should go ok

Temp guage would be good but extra cooling.............personally......i wouldnt waste the bucks on it.
1600 should run fine..........extra cooling may infact do the reverse and make it run too cold or atleast take it ages to get to operating temps.

cool, maybe upgrade the 1600 to something better before next summer

try out for USB status :wink:

slammedresto said:
maddog said:
slammedresto said:

should go ok

cool, maybe upgrade the 1600 to something better before next summer

try out for USB status :wink:

Cool!! :D More the merrier dude :wink:

Slam,
I may be missing something, but I don't see what type of fuel delivery your engine has. And what year your Bus is. Is it sp or dp? The Dp's in 1600 were Aug' 70 to Aug'71, then they became the '72's with the dual Solex carbs. This of course is for the Type 2's shipped to the U.S. My understanding is that y'all had the type 1 engines available all the way up to '79.
Kadron carbs are only as good as to how well they are jetted and have the mixtures set. Webers are a bit more complex and touchy. Irregardless, either type of dual carb set-up will all depend on the carb settings and the quality of your linkage.
If you want to keep your 1600 intact until deciding upon a larger displacement, more clues as to your current configuration with the 1600 would help with suggestions. You can always improve the 1600 in a few ways that may make you change your mind before shelling out the pieces of eight for a 1915. A 1776 is a really nice Bus engine if set up properly.
Consider fuel economy as well, I know your gas prices over there are a bit steeper than here.

Rita '71 said:
Slam,
If you want to keep your 1600 intact until deciding upon a larger displacement, more clues as to your current configuration with the 1600 would help with suggestions. You can always improve the 1600 in a few ways that may make you change your mind before shelling out the pieces of eight for a 1915. A 1776 is a really nice Bus engine if set up properly.
Consider fuel economy as well, I know your gas prices over there are a bit steeper than here.

The bus is a 69, 1600 sp at present, will convert it to dp when it arrives, its not a daily driver, more a weekend warrior

ive decided to go for twin weber IDF 40s , which i will have set up on a rolling road once fitted, and get the bigger engine at a later date

Latest posts