What colour is the factory primer?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rik24

Reaction score
Been buffing the original White paint and it's gone through to primer in a lot of places there are places where it needs painting and want to paint it and buff it back through to match the original paint ie primer but can't find the same colour primer

Sadly I know the answer to this as my bus left the factory in primer as the original owner specified a none standard paint colour. The code is 29 (in the case of my bus) or 49, a creamy grey not too disimilar to savannah beige, see the first para. on The Samba http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/colorstype2.php. Can't find a colour chip anywhere. Does the colour match matter for primer?

That's the right colour and yes I do need a correct match because I have some patches that need painting and to blend it in it will be going back to the primer did you get someone to match yours?

Hang on this isn't making much sense to me, are you asking what colour primer you need underneath your topcoat?
Because honestly, it won't make that much of a difference as you'll be applying a direct gloss topcoat anyway. We use primers that are tinted accordingly to the shade but these are only to aid coverage rather than a colour match. The correct shade of primer is only really an issue on a three coat system such as a pearlescent.

The bit at the end all sounded a bit jumbled too, not sure if your on about polishing or sanding. To be honest colour matching on a bay is going to be tricky as you can never get a perfect colour match going edge to edge, you can get very close but it depends how keen your eye is and how much of a perfectionist you are as to whether it is acceptable. Another problem you will have is if you mix a colour off the code you have to bear in mind the paint on the bus is 30,40 years old and the sun will have taken affect on the pigment. I'd suggest you have a paint supplier spectro your paint and provide a custom mix to match the shade the van currently is.
You could attempt at doing a blend or blow in but the large slab sides of the van will make this extremely difficult to get good results.

Hope this helps.

Ive not explained myself very well here :lol: The van is in its original paint [white] in places the top coat has gone from polishing mainly on edges and corners leaving the original coloured primer beneath which looks great and a nice natural patina.But in some places the previous owner has sanded through the base coat to bare metal now left with rust.I want to paint these areas with the correct colour primer and wet sand it into the surrounding white and then lacquer so that it will appear that the top coat in these area has worn away like the original parts of the bus!! If that makes sense :D

Right!

Sounds like its going to be a bloody nightmare :lol:

Your best option will either be to get the primer spectroed or match it up with colour chips. If you can find a bodyshop or supplier with chromatic chips this will speed the process up as they are arranged in shade order rather than grouped by manufacturer.

You'll want to sand back the bare metal and apply an etch primer, then apply your colour matched topcoat (which will be the colour of the OG primer, wait for that to go off and flat that to achieve the look you desire. I'm still not sure it'll look right though as it'll be on top and feathering the edges rather than showing through from underneath, and then apply the laquer to the entire panel. I have a feeling you'll need to do some experimentation with matting agents in the laquer to achieve the correct gloss level to match the rest of the bus.

It would be far easier just to paint it body colour, blend the basecoat across the panel and laquer the whole lot edge to edge.

ProfessorWheeto said:
Right!

Sounds like its going to be a bloody nightmare :lol:

Your best option will either be to get the primer spectroed or match it up with colour chips. If you can find a bodyshop or supplier with chromatic chips this will speed the process up as they are arranged in shade order rather than grouped by manufacturer.

You'll want to sand back the bare metal and apply an etch primer, then apply your colour matched topcoat (which will be the colour of the OG primer, wait for that to go off and flat that to achieve the look you desire. I'm still not sure it'll look right though as it'll be on top and feathering the edges rather than showing through from underneath, and then apply the laquer to the entire panel. I have a feeling you'll need to do some experimentation with matting agents in the laquer to achieve the correct gloss level to match the rest of the bus.

It would be far easier just to paint it body colour, blend the basecoat across the panel and laquer the whole lot edge to edge.
Cheers im going to give it a go, hey what can possible go wrong! :lol:

Latest posts