What did you fix on your Bus recently?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fitted a new status windscreen seal with the help of my brother (i just did what he told me to)................ crapped myself
getting it in :D
DSC00018-1.jpg

the quality of the seal helped a great deal and the job was made easy by my bro (ex army royal engineer )
he's replaced more land rover windscreens than he can remember. started bottom centre working away to each corner
then up the sides and along the top pushing/tapping along the way while working with the nylon chord.

same way i have done my rear side windows then?? and the seals came from status, quailty!!!!!!!

Last week I replaced my gearshift coupling - I no longer hit the dashboard going for first gear :D

Also, replaced the gearbox oil (stinky), fixed the brake fluid leak (leaking low pressure pipe to the master cylinder), made the drivers door operational again, serviced the engine and all is good again 8)

Spent the last few evenings in my engine bay cutting out the old battery tray and degreasing.

Scratching my head a bit this evening trying to work out how to fit the replacement tray in. :? :?:

Probably need to get the hammer out and gently persuade it in.

I spent the day building a cupboard for the interior and also managed to wire up the rev counter.
Bought all the wood (15mm MDF) but forgot to get and hinges or knobs for the doors!
Hopefully correct this tomorrow and might even start re-covering the interior panesl

Just finished refurbishing the interior.Renewed side panelling and floor with new lino,repaired R/R bed mech whilst it was out ,treated roof lining ply and scrubbed vinyl seats with a very strong solution of cream cleanser.
Pleased with the results, particularly the way the seats came out.

Fixed my instrument panel lighting :mrgreen:

Now I can see it in the dark, increase and decrease the brightness, now my blue light comes on when on mains beam and my green lights come on when the lights are on (and stay on whether on parking lights, side lights dipped beam or main beam). I also lined then panel inside with aluminium tape to help reflect more light to the dials.

finnally finished all the structural welding on my van with the complete cab floor renewal. :D

few bits of welding to do but only coz im anal :? then i will start test fitting some bits like the deluxe trim, engine, seats, radiator :evil: etc then it is the hunt for a good spray shop

This evning i....
Sorted my rear lights(US Import).Moved my indis into my reverse lights then sent another live down for my brake lights.
Cleaned it inside and out.
Shot to Tesco's for some petrol.
Give it a general checkover as its going on the M1 tomorrow for the 1st time since its engine rebuild :mrgreen:

Got the battery tray in today, hammer helped. Used a genuine tray from Schofields and it was a perfect fit. Just need to clean off the welds.

I added a special hinge that keeps the door of the cabinet wide open.

Stripped, cleaned and re-assembled the carb with a 're-build' kit from GSF. Plenty of muck removed, particularly from the accelerator pump. Now runs loads smoother, has lost that hesitance at low revs, much nicer to drive. Why I didn't just do this months ago instead of embarking on the sorry saga of the 'Empi' doorstop, I mean carburetter, I'll never know. Still, got a full refund without any quibble at all, wonder why?
Finish this cuppa, then back out there for new front brake shoes and wheel bearings.(German parts this time).

Think I may have caught these just in time.
loweringthebus070.jpg

The lining is starting to come away on all the shoes but that one fell off just while removing them from the backplate. Scary. Didn't change the wheel bearings because a, looked fine and b, had got the wrong replacement hub seal. The brakes are loads better now (Duh, obviously) and the pedal is so much higher now they are adjusted properly. Didn't realise just how poor they had gradually become.

Complete replacement shoes. Have not seen linings advertised anywhere, presume from your question that they must be available? In fact, thinking about it, the only time I can recall riviting on new linings would be in about 1982, for the rear of my first car, a '56 Ford Consul !

Latest posts