What month/year is my bay?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dean

Reaction score
I've tried to get a new accelerator cable today but i was told that my bay is a crossover and the cables are different lengths.

I did the m plate definitions yesterday and it comes up with my bay as a planned production date of 25 september 1968. The warranty from the original sale commences on 18/11/68. Birth Certificate says it left the factory on 14/10/68.

I've always been told that it is a 1969 model though and even states this on the V5. Even the m plate signature says it's a 69.

What part do i order, the one that is 67 - 69 or the one that is 69 - 72?

How did the person establish what model you have, by looking at it? Have you any pictures? Your M plate should confirm the true date assuming no one has changed it?

Just looked at some pictures you have of your van on here, don't worry you have an early van not a crossover its a 69 as you thought

m plate / warranty commencment date / birth certificate all confirm it is a 69 model (August 1968 to July 1969, Chassis Numbers 219000001 to 219300000)

Im assuming your van is LHD based upon UJ export code (USA, Jacksonville, Honolulu) - VW Heritage catalogue points toward this part:

(http://www.vwheritage.com/vwh/Bus-Parts-1968-79/Hand-Foot-Controls/Accelerator/?templateID=vwh" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

LHD
Acc.Cable T2 10/68-7/71LHD 1.6 3670mm
[211-721-555/G] [IN STOCK]
£ 5.62

or if pre 10/68 this one:

LHD
Acc.Cable T2 8/67-10/68 LHD1.6 3660mm
[211-721-555/D] [IN STOCK]
£ 5.62

though Im thinking the 3670mm one may be the way to go as only 10mm difference which may just result in a little more of the (carb) end sticking out if it was the 3660mm one you needed. (hope that makes sense!)

You can also get a "universal" cut to length cable (which is 15 "feet" long - which will definitely be long enough at 4572mm!!)

Hope this helps

Andy :)

Thanks. It was jacksonville according to the paperwork i have and it is a LHD, best position a wheel was ever placed in :)

When i spoke to cool air they checked the universal one but told me the end that attaches up front is different, otherwise i would have bought it. I have a cable on there now that is a single thin core wire type cable. As i fitted a csp bell crank linkage for my icts it now means that i clampdown on the thin wire instead of the thick end of the cable. I was after a bound thicker cable for more peace of mind. The longer one though is the same as i have fiitted now so i'll just have to lump it i guess.

Just picking up on your comment, can you replace the accelerator cable without taking the engine out?

Thanks

yes it can be done just a bit fiddly threading the cable at the back to the engine bay.

Latest posts