What tach / dwell meter do you use?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boatbuilder

Reaction score
I think I posted this on vzi before the crash....

I have a new draper "inductive pickup" tachometer and I can't get a consistant reading on it....the rpm on the screen fluctuates wildly by several hundred rpm. I've tried moving it around to different places on the HT leads but nope, the display is still buckin' like mad.

Any ideas why its not workin? Or can anyone recommend a device that will do both dwell and tach?

Justin & Mutley said:
:oops: What do you mean by dwell? :oops:

;)

Its a posh way of setting the timing. I think.

Me mate does mine. He puts his head in the enging bay i make the tea. :wink:

Justin & Mutley said:
:oops: What do you mean by dwell? :oops:

;)

Its a way of setting the gap between the points in the distributor. You can do it using a feeler gauge either, only its more accurate if you use a "dwell meter" apparently. I don't really know, I'm just learning this stuff myself!! :oops:

Hmm I wonder about this one...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Equus-Innova-PRO-SERIES-Dwell-Tach-Tester-3010-NR_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43989QQihZ016QQitemZ260162114088QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD2V

Works out at 30 euros including shipping....can't be bad?

You have to set your points gap with a feeler gauge, but can then check with a dwell meter (the engine has to be running !). Dwell angle tells you if the points gap is too large or too small, and gives an indication of how far out.

PS: I quickly decided that points were too much hassle, and went over to electronic ignition !

^^WHS^^
Was given a Gunsons tach/dwell meter with the van, it works ok, but its much less hassle having an electronic ignition, Ive used Pertronix ignitor(s) for years in my vans & beetles and never had any problems (I still carry points, condenser & meter just in case though).

Dont forget the money you will save on fuel when using an electronic ignition :wink:

Although I have never actually bothered to check my mileage figures to see if it does make a difference, it would seem reasonable to assume that it will improve economy due to better timing consistency & quality of spark produced (assuming that over time your points gap changes).
Anyone actually ever done the maths?

Loxy said:
...Although I have never actually bothered to check my mileage figures to see if it does make a difference, it would seem reasonable to assume that it will improve economy due to better timing consistency & quality of spark produced (assuming that over time your points gap changes).
Anyone actually ever done the maths?

I'll bet Petronix have - I'm they'd be happy to tell you how great their product is (large pinch of salt excepted of course!)...

;)

I get mine all tuned up at the rolling road. Done once a year and keeps everything nicely running and great MPG 8)

I have a spare dwell meter you can have. Got anything to swap? I got mine because of my fixation with 60's Mercedes, they the points gap is only a startiong point really

Latest posts