what temp should my bus be runing at sat on the drive

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strongy

Reaction score
just put a temp gauge in and it never gets above 80-90

this seems a bit cold to me?

its a 1641 with all the tinware in place

I cant remember Ill try and have a look but I know your thermostat should open the flaps to the heads around 70 degrees C.

Also confirm your temp gauge is correct with a thermometer if you have one handy.

Whats the temp through the vents like?

and finally how hard is the engine working?

Strongy just been on an american site selling VDO gauges (cant remember which one) and it would appear about right not accounting for ambient temp load etc... assuming its an oil temp and not head temp :D

there are no flaps there i never got round to puting them on due to it being a aftermarket shroud and not being arsed,

its oil temp on a dipstick

i think its the first aircooled ive ever ran with all the tin in place,its amzing how cool the engine bay stays :D the heaters arent riged up yet,might do that doday :D

as long as its about right that will doo

Good one seems to be running cool enough any aftermarket cooler fitted or deep sump?

Remember it can get nice and hot on the road 120+ :shock:

The flaps allow it to get up to temp a bit quicker by diverting the airstream at the start.

no totally standard apart fron the single quite pack and twin webbers,all tho i did a full rebuild and the only thing left from the old engine is the crank , flywheel and con rods,everything else is brand new,dont no weather new engines run cooler?

strongy...
correct me if im wrong... but i thought 100 degrees was boiling point. so in guessing that ur oil would be as well :?
there's nothing wrong with 80-90. remember where u live. if its a correct reading & ur engine is the goods then u wont have a problem :wink:
some mechs have an external guage that they slide down where ur dip stick goes & can get a very accurate measurement. take it for a good drive then to the garage.
then ur mind will be @ rest :lol:
matty

Oil boils at quite a bit more tha 100c. How much more I don't know, I'll google it later,
My 1600 ran at 100c and sometimes 110c on hot days (35c+).
My mechanic reckons it is good get it to 100 as that evaporates any moisture in the oil.
My new motor runs at about 110 on highway runs at 100km/h and as yet I haven't got it out on any hot days yet.

Courtesy of Google, these are not engine oils though. I cant imagine engine oil would be much different.
Safflower - 510 F (266 C)
Soybean - 495 F (257 C)
Corn - 475 F (246 C)
Peanut - 440 F (227 C)
Sesame - 420 F (216 C)
Olive - 375 F (191 C)

sounds about right - my gauge is in Fahrenheit and runs at about 180 to 200f which is 80 - 90 c. The sender is attached to the sump so this won't be 100% accurate.

it is a dipstick sender, im happy with the temp after talking to a few people i think its the norm

hi, mine dipstick sender reads about 110c doing about 60mph on hot day on motorway.mind u it went upto 140c on way to bustypes mind u was doing 70mph on motorway bout s**t myself when i saw it and slowed down.

Latest posts