What thickness of steel?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinhall

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am using repair panels for most areas of my bus that are rotten. However, there are a few areas where panels aren't available or I only need a little bit of a large panel so I will need to fabricate my own patches. Question is what thickness of steel should I be using for the bodywork and chassis?

Cheers for any help,
Kevin

kevinhall said:
Hi all,

I am using repair panels for most areas of my bus that are rotten. However, there are a few areas where panels aren't available or I only need a little bit of a large panel so I will need to fabricate my own patches. Question is what thickness of steel should I be using for the bodywork and chassis?

Cheers for any help,
Kevin

i think its 18 gauge for the bodywork... 1.5mm?

Johnny, I think its thinner than that for the body, certainly for modern cars much thinner, if I can find an exposed edge I'll measure it.

The panels behind the front seats are .031 inch including thin paint so 32 gauge or 3/4 mm, the long chassis rails underneath are .089 including thicker paint so probably 2mm bare perhaps, 12 gauge?

Latest posts