What type of sheet metal for repairs?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boatbuilder

Reaction score
Should I be looking for any particular sort of sheet metal to do repairs on my bus? (e.g. patching a hole in da roof)

I can get "bright mild steel sheet" in thicknesses of 0.8mm, 1.0mm, 1.5mm, 2mm.

Is this the correct stuff to use and if so, what thickness would be best?

I went to my local car panel supplier (call a local body repair shop and see who they use) and got my sheet from there - 1.2mm thick sheets approx 2' x 3' - expect to pay about a tenner.

;)

I'd get a bit of each. If you are doing chassis repairs etc I got some 3mm, a little thicker than what's there but you can angle the weld torch at the thicker stuff.
If you are worried about a mis-match in metal thickness ie- for the roof get yourself a joggler. Frost do a roll-a-step one so you can go round corners/curves.
I reckon 1mm should do most of it, again allows you to angle the weld torch into the thicker stuff hopefully preventing distortion to OG metal.

http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?productID=8462&frostProductName=Rolastep%20Edge%20Joggler&catID=13&frostCat=Bodywork%20&frostSubCat=Forming&subCatID=18

Also if you can find it zintec is awesome. Mild steel with an electroplated finish it's not like galvanised which gives off fumes. Welds easily.
I've had some lying on the garage floor for 6 years, only the cut edges are showing signs of rust.

Latest posts