what way should a 1776 perform?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

panchocrossover

Reaction score
so basically i've got a 1776 fitted 2 my bus, but have never driven it apart from moving in and out of the garage. so was just interested 2 see if anyone knows how the perform. its fitted with twin carbs of some kind, how can i tell wot these are. its also got a full stainless steal system. will this be a lot harder on fuel? thanks in advance your help!

How long is a piece of string?

The performance will depend on what spec the engine is built to. Cylinder heads make a massive difference, cam choice & type of carbs all have a factor to play.

A half sensible 1776 in a bug will go as well as an old Golf GTi.

The 1776 in my bug is really revvy and pulls like a train.

It has some VERY nice Jeff Denham heads (40x35.5) and twin 44's. Can't remember what cam - think it was a GB 300 (Engle 120 - or bigger?).

It's last outing on the 1/4 @ Santa Pod (over 5 years ago now :oops: ) was a 15.1 - and that was before various tweeks (ignition overhaul, deep sump + more) so I'm sure it'll easily post a sub 15 these days.

As Pete said - heads make a huge difference.

Oh yea a decently built 1776 with the right spec parts can be awesome 8) As the others said the choice of heads, carbs, cams etc is critical for the best performance but a decent 1776 will not only be quick but it'll last too :D
It's all about the build :wink:

Here is my 1776 combo that you can read here the specs, steve tims Stage 1 are the best heads for the buck!

( http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?t=201&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30 )

and here you can download a 8min (100MO please be patient) video of my bus with the 1776 stock short transmission....

http://panelvan.free.fr/P101081142.avi

bye!

have a beefed 1776 in my bus. no regrets! pulls nicely, controlled temps.

stock heads 39x33, cc'd, smoothed ports, cr 8,5
scat C25 (thats like a Engle 110)
stock crank, stock rods, shaved flywheel
carbs are refurb 34PCI Riechert setup working well
dynoed and dialed in at 82 HP, 180 lbs of torque
stock short gearing, pulls effortless, enough torque to overtake those boring lorries

got a wide ext oilcooler right under the rear axle thus no temp issues at all, consumption is decent which is quite a point these days.

thanks for all the info, now i really want my bus out of the shop, shouldnt be to long now, hopefully getting her back at the end of feb, its been a long wait. itll be interesting to see wot she gos like.
heres the pic for J&M. how can i find wot size/type of carbs ive got? thanks
Picture2061.jpg

[/img]

panchocrossover said:
thanks for all the info, now i really want my bus out of the shop, shouldnt be to long now, hopefully getting her back at the end of feb, its been a long wait. itll be interesting to see wot she gos like.
heres the pic for J&M. how can i find wot size/type of carbs ive got? thanks
Picture2061.jpg

[/img]

Look a bit like baby dellorto's.

Had these on my last ride.
Picture019.jpg

Only small twin carbs but enough to get you out of trouble when you put your foot down.

From record think they were 32's.

Yours could be the same or Kadron's.

Hard to see but if there's a mixture screw pointing to the right at an angle they're probably Weber ICTs

Latest posts