What's it called?...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin & Muttley

Reaction score
I sheared a bolt off when I removed my rear bumper the other day :roll:

I want to get the remains of the bolt out and I know there's a tool out there but I don't know what it's called - I think it's like a left-hand threaded screw on the end of a screwdriver type thingy which you screw into a hole drilled into the bolt - the more you screw it in the tighter it gets (but going the 'wrong' way so it draws out the bolt).

Sorry to blind you all with technical terms like 'thingy' - does anyone know what it's called and where I can get one?

;)

I thought they are called easy-outs, but frost calls them drill-outs:

http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?productID=8965&frostProductName=Drill%20outs%20(Set%20of%204)
(but not cheap)

Personally I'm not a huge fan of stud extractors, If you're sheared bolt is in really tight as you wind in the extractor the tapered helix only expands the bolt further into the thread if the extractor won't budge it first time.

If all else fails drill the bolt out to it's tapping diameter leaving you with loose threads of the bolt to pick out or re-tap.
Make sure you drill in the centre of the sheared bolt tho.

10mm bolts -8.5mm tapping drill
8mm bolts- 6.8mm tapping drill

Best o' luck

Latest posts