What's the difference between these two new rear drums?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ones made in Denmark the other Germany? I suspect the Danish one is JO classic parts

https://www.jpgroupclassic.com/products/productsearch/?cbrand=vw

I've used JP parts and think they are good quality reproduction parts

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I’d suspect the second set are the ones CSP have manufactured and subsequently sell themselves.

I’ve used both, and can honestly say I’d buy the CSP every time. The cheaper ones I struggled to get onto the hub splines without a bit of fettling, and they also didn’t run completely true. The CSP ones were faultless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks chaps, I was assuming that second option were probably the CSP drums. Undoubtedly they are top quality being CSP, my current drums have gone oval hence the need for replacement so I'm probably more in the mind not to fall into the trap of 'buy cheap, buy twice'.

£300 for a pair of brake drums though... ouch!

If CSP made a 205 disc brake kit for the rear to match the front I'd be much happier spending £1500 on that as opposed to £300 on drum servicing. They work fine when set up correctly, but on a regular (not quite daily) driver I still find drums a proper ball ache to live with!

Don't discount the JP products as have a vet good rep. The rear engine mounts I bought aside from a lot of other stuff is bob on. Just about to get sunroof parts from them

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Visually the second one seems to have been finished in a much more particular way and the radius from the lip looks to be a stronger option which in turn should stop it ovalling <<< (made up word ) as quickly because of more meat up to the ribbed area.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,it’s brakes, go for the money pit :mrgreen:

Why don't you ring JK and ask them? They look like the one's I bought a couple of years ago. They were from VW Heritage although not for sale at the moment on their site. They are the one's CSP sell, made by Sebro in Germany.
I fitted them but found them very tight to go on the splines. I suppose that's better than loose though!

mike202 said:
Why don't you ring JK and ask them?
You'd think that would be the easiest avenue to a concise answer wouldn't you? I queried this with them some time back by phone and the individual I spoke to wasn't sure. So I messaged them via the website recently and they didn't answer.

mike202 said:
...they are the one's CSP sell, made by Sebro in Germany.
If you've bought them from JK and that's the packaged brand you received that definitively answers the question.

CSP are transparent with their source manufacturer but JK list them as unbranded which is quite unhelpful. If they just stated the manufacturer within their own specification fields on the website it would avoid the ambiguity of what you're spending your money on, plus it justifies the additional cost rather than the improvement in quality being assumed purely because one item is more expensive over another.

Anyhoo, I think this has been answered, thanks all ;)

Latest posts