What's the furthest you have ever travelled in your EB?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sold it before coming back to the states, I will be doing it again this year with some friends on a '71 and '73 poptop westfalias, we are planning to go to Vanfest in september. It's so much fun to drive on the wrong side of the road at slow speeds it's addicting. :p

My '68 was my daily driver until i was TOLD to get a warm car that stops and starts when u want it to....BORING. I did about 200 miles a week. It also managed to get up Alston pass (just) in the lakes when we went last summer from newcastle !!

I once drove my 68 devon around europe for 10 weeks back in 1997. Drove through France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Poland, Cech republic, Slovakia, Romania (this was an interesting country to drive through in a slammed van, pot hole country) Bulgaria, but very nearly wasn't let in because my exhaust was blowing :? , can you believe it, Greece, then a ferry to CORFU (party time), and another ferry to Italy, then home via France! Met only one other van on route, and that was a 67 splitty. Still friends to this day, and still has a splitty, mores the pity.
Can't remember the exact mileage, but you can probably guess it was alot.
I'd put some pics up, but it was before the days of affordable digital.
Ahhhh! the days before kids and jobs and money(lack of) and worries etc.......... :mrgreen:

There are some pretty exotic destinations mentioned on this thread.
In December 06 I took my van to Perth Western Australia on the Indian Pacific train, then drove it back to Melbourne via Sydney (to pick up a 2165cc motor)
It was a very hot trip, but the bus only played up once when it wouldn't idle. Somehow I fixed it by playinng around with the idle screw, then not long after I had to undo it as it was idling at about 2 thousand RPM.
I was completely stoked by the van's performance and posted a thread somewhere here I think. I only had to put in 1 litre of oil in the entire trip. It was about 8500km.
Saddest thing out of it all is I have misplaced the disc with all the pics. Except for a couple on photobucket.
IndianPacificTour06085Small.jpg

IndianPacificTour06030.jpg

Furthest trip so far is a meagre 1300miles from Leeds to Cornwall, across to Brighton then back as far as Cheltenham before we got towed. Not bad tho as this started on only our second full day of VW van owner ship!! With hindsight we could have completed the trip with a little adjustment of the carb, but at least we made it to our last day and saved on fuel by getting a tow! :lol:

leon said:
I once drove my 68 devon around europe for 10 weeks back in 1997. Drove through France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Poland, Cech republic, Slovakia, Romania (this was an interesting country to drive through in a slammed van, pot hole country) Bulgaria, but very nearly wasn't let in because my exhaust was blowing :? , can you believe it, Greece, then a ferry to CORFU (party time), and another ferry to Italy, then home via France! Met only one other van on route, and that was a 67 splitty. Still friends to this day, and still has a splitty, mores the pity.
Ahhhh! the days before kids and jobs and money(lack of) and worries etc.......... :mrgreen:

Incidently this is the trip I am currently planning for next summer only we were going to do it in reverse (not gear). Planned very briefly it came to around 7500 miles on multimap. Would be interested Leon if you have any tips of places to see or go, especially in the lesser known countries like Slovakia, Hungary, Bulgaria and Romania...?

'71 Dorma said:
Furthest trip so far is a meagre 1300miles from Leeds to Cornwall, across to Brighton then back as far as Cheltenham before we got towed. Not bad tho as this started on only our second full day of VW van owner ship!! With hindsight we could have completed the trip with a little adjustment of the carb, but at least we made it to our last day and saved on fuel by getting a tow! :lol:

leon said:

Incidently this is the trip I am currently planning for next summer only we were going to do it in reverse (not gear). Planned very briefly it came to around 7500 miles on multimap. Would be interested Leon if you have any tips of places to see or go, especially in the lesser known countries like Slovakia, Hungary, Bulgaria and Romania...?

I'll go through my pics, and find the names of some of the good places we visited! I do remember draculas castle was a good one, although there are 3 to choose from, we opted for the one which inspired the book. Got to say though, on a beautiful sunny day, it wasn't that scary :shock:
We got ourselves a book too, i think it was called hitch hikers guide to europe, and i'll tell you now, it was priceless!
One tip which may help, although it was 10 years ago and things may have changed, american dollars are a very good bribe in eastern europe, so get £100 worth just in case. It got us into bulgaria with the said blowing exhaust, and also got us onto a ferry bridge manned by armed police.
Be Lucky :D

Good man, thanks for the tips. Have been to Bulgaria a couple of times but only flown in, and straight to the capital. Think its relaxing a bit now its joined/joining the EU but I have always found they are keen to take US dollars. Will definately look up that hitchhikers guide, the missus has been badgering me to find a useful book - I can see some brownie points! 8) :lol:

brenchk said:
Baytripper... how long did it take you to reach Latte in Italy? Looking to go to Lake Garda area in July this year and planning 3 days travelling from Calais. Thoughts?

hey brenchk i think that you can do it in 2 days. i drove back from lake garda to calais in two days. i can even look up the route i took if you like because i highlighted it on my map. also have the two cap sites if you like. one of them was a very peaceful site in the foot of the alps. when we left in the morning we were still above the clouds. was beautiful. i stayed about 30mins outside calais but could have easily made it through to the port.

NaFe

2,000 miles on our honeymoon with only one minor hiccup a couple of years ago :D France, Germany, Belgium and Luxembourg :) Almost made it to Italy (about 50 miles shy) but had to turn round as the heat was too much for the bus and the dog! 40 degrees!

As an update for this thread I recently completed 2037 miles down to Lake Garda in Italy passing through Switzerland on the way down. Took 3 days both ways so the kids were not uncontrolably bored.

Anyone had any exciting trips in 2008 so far?

bloemfontein to george...i think that that 10 hour journey was an experience and a half...all by7 myself with a newly built 2.1 motor...taught me a lesson

brenchk said:
As an update for this thread I recently completed 2037 miles down to Lake Garda in Italy passing through Switzerland on the way down. Took 3 days both ways so the kids were not uncontrolably bored.

I have just done a 3500km round trip to the biggest VW gathering in Australia, held every second year.
This was the second big trip with my bigger motor and now I seem to have the cooling issues sorted.
There are some vids of the trip posted on another thread here in the Galleries section.

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8765" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

brenchk said:

What route did you take and where did you stop in lake garda?
We visited Lake garda a few years ago and loved the area, we're considering taking a drive down next year so any tips would be appreciated

A well worth trip... saw some great siyes en route and the stay in Lake garda was superb. Stopped en route in Reims and Macon before hitting Switzerland where we went north of Lake Geneva and stayed near Brig before hitting the Simplon Pass and then Italy. Stayed in Sirmione which was beautiful. The camp site wasn't cheap, £290 for 1 week, but was first class. 3 Swimming pools and the lake kept everyone very happy... along with the 30 degree heat! On the way back we went south of Switzerland as my heart couldn't take another trip along the Simplon Pass. 2,037 miles in total, including some trips around the lake, and averaged 26 miles to the gallon. Started to plan another trip as we all have the travel bug.

Bristol to Blue Anchor, somerset.............. :? must use it more next year :lol:
I do have an excuse tho..........honest!

CB

kempy said:
brenchk said:
ib-bus, Given your current location what happened to your bus?

I bought it from him.

PICT0001-2.jpg

It was an experiance hey Juan.

An experience it was, I have never closed a deal after midnight in an unfamiliar city in a foreighn country before, but Kempy looked honest enough so that is why we went out of our way to make the deal happen, and it's nice to see it is being well taken care off. I'm coming again this year with my '71 and my cousins '73 if somebody is interested in a couple of solid california westy's. We'll be traveling within England and maybe Scotland this time around.

Juan.

Did the trip to Wolfsburg about 4 years ago with my ex. 1700 miles in 10 days, with only 1 minor hiccup(main battery terminal snapped off the back of the starter, temp bodge is still there 4 years on :oops: )

Took in a VW show, and many scenic places during the 8 days abroad. Love the place, and want to go again as and when funds allow 8)

Will dig out some pics at some point :wink:

Latest posts