Wheel/Brake rubbing noise.......

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gordie

Reaction score
Hi, hoping someone can point me in the right direction with this before we miss out on Bus Fest! :(

I've had an annoying intermittent rubbing noise coming from the rear left wheel/tyre/brake since a drive out to North Devon this weekend.

It's a LHD 70 bay with drum brakes all round.

I'm pretty sure it's not a wheel bearing sound but I have eventually found a way to recreate it:

If I come off a roundabout, so right hand down then left hand down it starts as soon as the left hand goes down. It doesn't happen on the straight, but if I give the bus a nudge to the right and then twitch it left then I can hear it until I straighten up again.

I've had the drum off and checked brake shoes, cleaned inside the drum, checked all lines clear the back of the wheel/tyre and there is nothing obvious. I did notice that the drum is an oval shape where the hub nut meets it. Could that be what's giving me the noise? The internal splined section is still circular, it's just the outer that's appears like an egg.

Otherwise, is it just a wheel bearing but in a way I've not come across before!

Thanks for reading my waffle - hope you can help!

gordie

Wheel bearing noises are usually more prominent when there is more load on it, which does sound like what you're describing.

Latest posts