Wheel clamps - vehicle security

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kareneforster

Reaction score
I'm looking for a good wheel clamp for our van. We have the dome hub caps and many I've seen don't look like they'd attach well.

Which one do you use? I want something to deter the van being towed away by a rogue!

Any other vehicle security tips welcome.

Thanks in advance

Dont use a wheel clamp although do have an Ubersecure pedal lock, gene berg locking shifter and alarmed/camera'd/locked garage
Others fit hidden kill switches that kill power to the battery/coil.
Fuel cut off switch is effective or just remove your rotor arm when parking up
Although if they want to take it they will just low loader it away regardless of what you do!

Link to the uber secure pedal lock

http://www.ubercoolproducts.talktalk.net/uber_cool_products_2012_003.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Bulldog clamps are good, different styles available, go for a "Sold Secure" one whatever make you go for, and as Stu says the Uber pedal locks from Ubersecure on here are good deterents!

or use a wheel clamp and buy the two pronged tool to remove the chrome caps each time...

All good advice so far. :D

As StuF says, if the buggers really want to steal your pride and joy, they will. Best we can do is make life as difficult as we can, but it is virtually impossible to make an old bus totally secure.

Most folk tend to apply multiple devices, for example:
- the uber pedal lock
- steering wheel lock (Bulldog is the one to go for, avoid the largest disklock as even that is too small for a standard steering wheel)
- wheel lock, but yes, those lovely domed caps have to come off first, which can be a pain even with a tool. There is a two-pronged version that does not need the hub caps taking off, but it isn't as secure, still a good deterrent though.
- tracker...there are numerous on the market, from cheap DIY ebay jobbies to monitored subscription devices (Skytag, for example, gets a discount with Heritage insurance).
- some insurers (Cherished) provide magic paint that you dot about the inside of the bus and if it gets stolen it makes it easier to identify and so recover...allegedly. The stickers for the windows add to that sense of deterrent.
- keep it under cover at home, alarm the garage, etc.

But sometimes buses get taken when you least expect it, some even get nicked at shows, when all your guards are literally down. I almost lost part of a carb linkage at a show :evil: So the best protection is vigilance...trust nobody.

Hope that helps.

KevH said:
- the uber pedal lock
- steering wheel lock (Bulldog is the one to go for, avoid the largest disklock as even that is too small for a standard steering wheel)
- wheel lock, but yes, those lovely domed caps have to come off first, which can be a pain even with a tool. There is a two-pronged version that does not need the hub caps taking off, but it isn't as secure, still a good deterrent though.
- tracker...there are numerous on the market, from cheap DIY ebay jobbies to monitored subscription devices (Skytag, for example, gets a discount with Heritage insurance).
- some insurers (Cherished) provide magic paint that you dot about the inside of the bus and if it gets stolen it makes it easier to identify and so recover...allegedly. The stickers for the windows add to that sense of deterrent.
- keep it under cover at home, alarm the garage, etc.

Another one that helps if you're parked on a street and have all the above fitted, turn the wheels into the kerb to make it more difficult to straighten up and get on a low-loader.

Steve

I leave mine with wheels turned to the kerb, left in gear, crappy steering lock thing. All easy to get round, but they combine to slow the crooks down.

Thanks everyone - I'd never heard of the pedal lock so I'll definitely look into that. Are they quick to attach/detach each time?

kareneforster said:
Thanks everyone - I'd never heard of the pedal lock so I'll definitely look into that. Are they quick to attach/detach each time?

Yep. As long as your pedals and steering column are all in the right place. Had to modify mine a bit as the column is a little further back due to a Bedford Rascal steering rack conversion.

You may end scratching the paint on your column but that's a small price to pay IMO

Steve

If you fit the pedal lock it might ground your steering column which will sound the horn when the ignition is on. I put some PVC tape on mine to stop this.
I also drilled a hole so I can just fit the top bar using a padlock. Much easier and lighter but still stops pedals working.
ffdad9f325a3e96f14cff91ca8ba4bc0.jpg

Latest posts