Where is the VIN number stamped not on a plate

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dizzy T2

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
After 1972
Van Type
VW T2 Dormobile
At the test centre, I need to find the Vin number on the van will only accept it stamped on to the van and not on a plate. Please help can’t find

Attachments

• 26C391BC-3A5E-4473-8946-C2AD1FB91813.jpeg
    26C391BC-3A5E-4473-8946-C2AD1FB91813.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
Mine are stamped on an aluminium plate which is riveted to the panel behind the driver's seat—correct me if I'm wrong but I believe this is standard practice?

"The chassis number is on the chassis plate on the bulkhead behind the off-side cab seat, on the M code plate on the bulkhead behind the near-side cab seat and stamped into the engine bay metalwork to the right of the engine by the battery tray."

Source: (thread link) @sparkywig

I cannot comment on 1968~71 VW Type 2s, but on my 1973 model-year VW "1600" Type 2, the chassis number is stamped into the rear engine-bay surround and on a rivetted aluminium plate behind the driver's seat, which also includes the front & rear axle load limits in kilogrammes and the Type number, which for the Kombi (i.e. Type 23) with VW factory-standard roof-aperture for an elevating roof, is Type 23-517.

It is these specified front & rear axle load limits (i.e. "plated weights") which define the minimum permissible load ratings / indeces for the tyres one fits.

Latest posts