Where's the cheapest grottiest bay for sale?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bottom rung

Reaction score
Hi all
After a few years enforced baylessness I am trying to get back into bay ownership. I've had one late and two earlies before, followed by a year or two with a T4 Caravelle. The T4 was reliable, practical but basically a soulless lump of plastic. The wife is less than happy about me blowing a load of money on a bay, especially as prices for decent vehicles has more than doubled since I last had one. A compromise would be for me to buy the cheapest possible bay and go through it methodically over the next few years, one section at the time. I appreciate all the downsides, but the advantage of spreading the cost and biding my time, picking up parts from ebay, gumtree and the bay forums as and when they become available is the main attraction. I'd love to go and splash out 10k on a decent bus, but that isnt going to happen. So I am forced to seek out the kind of bus that five years ago would have been scrapped without a second thought. A rolling shell would be fine, doors/engine/glass/interior not required, but would be a bonus. I'm handy with a welder, and I know I'm letting myself in for a world of hurt. I know how bays rust, and also when to draw the line. What is the cheapest bay available now that can get me back into bay ownership before I miss out completely? Northern England preferred but not essential. And it can't be that bad that it would implode while I load it onto a trailer.......:)

Good luck with that cause I was in similar position and thought I'd do the same thing and a previous late bay was in that category. It was cheap ( £1,200 ) and while I don't have welding skills I new ( or thought I did ) what I was getting into. Lots of collecting and tinkering got me some way but ultimately I got cheesed off not getting to shows or not being able to camp in the bus. After a few years ended up selling on and getting a T25 before finally getting my early import and while it aint perfect its rock solid and on the road in less than two months and lot less money than I would have spent on that late bay.
I know it's easy to say but you know how much people want for shit buses these days and unless you really stumble on a bargain and that's harder as well with places like fleabay where people buy unbelievable shit!
Realistically what's your budget, get the word out on here and the let others find the bus for you and be prepared to travel.
Good luck and keep us up to date.

I'm looking at £1500- 2000 or less. For that money I expect an absolute disaster area with maybe no doors, interior, engine but with loads of rust. All I need is a nasty shell that in theory is repairable. I dont mind replacing roofs, floors, fronts etc. I just need to get back into bay ownership. I dont mind missing out on trips out in it for a few years, the restoration of them is more of a hobby for me than doing the show routine.
As I said, I'd love to buy an import that needs a little work (my last one was a crossover riviera import) but family finances wont let me drop a big wad of cash in one go. Thanks for the advice though, and I'll keep everyone informed of my progress.

Latest posts