Which headlamps?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Panel
Later style headlamps seem much cheaper than early ones... What's stopping me fitting these to my '71?

Was thinking I might take advantage of the GSF discount and fit some new ones tomorrow if I can.

Thoughts?

Ta!

3 vs 1 screw seems to be the change from early to late...

Can't think of a reason why I couldn't use single screw lamps with my existing 3 screw rims (even if it might not look 100% right)? Or do I have to replace the rim too?

Does seem like a bit of a downgrade (harder to adjust) to me though, but how often is that needed?

I'm running single screw, I think it's the normal option when going LHD lights to rhd due to the cost.. Not had any problems so far!

H4 I believe, although I didnt fit them :) did fit the brother in laws though and don't recall any issues with sidelights

Sidelights in the headlamps?
Does your bus (or brother inlaw) have 1 or 3 mounting tabs in the headlamp bowls?

Been reading and researching all bloody night but can't get any complete answers :S

I'll whip me ring off tomorrow and take some pics (ooo-err!) If it helps :)

I seem to recall a bit of work was needed on the bowls but not a huge amount

So it seems that for a UK bay, pre '74, there will be only one mounting tab in the headlamp bowl on the front panel. Because of this the only thing that will fit is 3 screw headlamps!

U.S. buses are apparently different. I believe they have 3 tabs so later lamps (or mk1 Golf) lamps should fit without modification.

You can make later lights fit earlies but you will have to weld on some extra securing brackets and use the single screw rims.

P.S. If you've had a new front panel just pop a headlamp off to be certain!

Latest posts