who else slammed it to the weeds then slowley raised it to..

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the councillor said:
i'd like my bus to be a candidate for world's lowest bus, but it has to be 100% legal - no scrub line violations

impossible as far as im concerned, you got any pics of your bus mate? id love to check em out.

cheers
alex.

alex said:
the councillor said:
i'd like my bus to be a candidate for world's lowest bus, but it has to be 100% legal - no scrub line violations

impossible as far as im concerned, you got any pics of your bus mate? id love to check em out.

cheers
alex.
:lol: 50 quid on alex.....anymatches ?? :lol:

You still got her then dude...What shocks your running Fella.Im not as low as you but down there in da weeds and 'shockless' at this point.BUT as people insist on being 'correct' on this thread...i need dampers. :lol:

stock rears, which do nothing, if there were any movement there the wheels would touch the angled section of the inner rear wheel arches.... i do plan on running 17's one day so ill be trubbing them.

this is only because Ive gone for a 5spline drop on the rear, and huge 175 80R14 tyres on the rear, if i were to fit the 195x45R15's there would be plenty of travel as low, even lower more flater stance, but a really shite top end speed on the motorway, thats why i went lower but with bigger tyres....

now as there's no dampening in the rear shockers its abit bump on the rear, but had not MOT issues... most of the dampening is taken out in the tyres anyway...

if i were to do it again, id Z the chassis infront of the torsion tube, and flip the chasiss rails... then it would be on the floor.

on the front ive got beetle front shock's with custom made top mounts, when youve fabicated most of the front end, you can do what you want with shockers,

' i'd like my bus to be a candidate for world's lowest bus, but it has to be 100% legal - no scrub line violations'

this IS impossible, even if you run completely stock suspension ans stock wheels/tyres but with a *Z'd* chassis, the chassis rails would be lower than the wheels.

the T2D late bay pannel is lowwer than mine. mine can go that low, but then, i tend to use mine! oooo.... get me.....

Ive read the build thread on yours mate...which is why I was so interested for it! 8)

there is alot of 'crap' for want of a better word in this thread..like "if things rub.bang"its been done wrong!...the way i see it is if my beam dont do them things then i need to go lower! :lol:

its not about throwing cash at people who know better than you...its about speaking to people who have done it right!

Im no 'lowering' expert but listening to what people like Tim,Alex,Bobby etc has had to say has helped alot!.

More Scary to me is all you people ridding dropped spindles from NAT @WW...welded shit waiting to fail!...think about it :)

strongy said:
how many cans of wife beater have you had ??? :lol:

erm...not enough.. :lol:

Im not here to rock the boat guys and girls..Lets take a van that weighs a ton..slam it and expect nothing to rub!

ride quality...its again a van!never designed to give the best ride...not to mention it was built back in the day.

Love them,drive them,slammmm them...dont slam them...the choice is yours...dont feel you have to put your hand in your pocket to achieve any of this thing just because someone says so :(

Im off to do some more work on the single tomoz..ill do a full write up in the galary with pics etc..if you see anything wrong or scary then please tell me.Im not saying im right and others are wrong..like life its one big learning circle :)

alex said:
' i'd like my bus to be a candidate for world's lowest bus, but it has to be 100% legal - no scrub line violations'

this IS impossible, even if you run completely stock suspension ans stock wheels/tyres but with a *Z'd* chassis, the chassis rails would be lower than the wheels.

the T2D late bay pannel is lowwer than mine. mine can go that low, but then, i tend to use mine! oooo.... get me.....

heyyyy alex1916v the slam-meister 8)

yeah, you're absolutely right... i missed a word out :oops:

i'd like my bus to be a candidate for world's lowest legal bus, but it has to be 100% legal - no scrub line violations.

that makes MORE sense, although there are two 'legal's in the same sentence which is kind of like a double negative and is probably poor grammar :|

MY biggest problem in getting low* has to be the tyres... you can only (legally) go as low as the height of your tyres allow (scrub lines - you know that, obviously) and i think low profile tyres on type 2s look *pony* (official vw terminology) so i guess i'll have to re-phrase myself again...

i'd like my bus to be a candidate for world's lowest legal bus rolling on balloon tyres.

somehow, it doesn't quite have the same ring to it does it :oops:

anyway, hark at you calling out T2D and the ballz body drop bay or whatever it's called... don't they drive theirs or something :?: as bad as me by the sounds of it...

and last i 'heard' about you you'd sold your bus on ebay... did that all fall through ?

i've recently shaved my head... was gonna have 'i am the egg man' as an avatar but didn't you have that once... it's a small world etc. etc.

8)

*obviously it's getting out there and building it before you stick your beak in clements :lol:

smudge said:
BUT as people insist on being 'correct' on this thread...i need dampers. :lol:

yes, you DO need dampers on your bus, but i don't think it's got anything to do with people insisting on being 'correct' on this thread... i think it's got more to do with that pesky ministry of transport and their infernal annual test :evil:

it's an attitude i face most days when i'm out being a community busy body instead of being in the garage getting stuff slammed like you lot... why do i HAVE to have a police check to work in a school... why MUST the local youth club have a committee of no more than twelve and no less than six... why CAN'T we drive at more than seventy on the motorway... the germans can... why CAN'T we run shock-less narrowed front ends... the americans can and on and on and on into a giant beaurocratic nightmare :(

somebody has come on here and stated that you can't 'fiddle' with your suspension and expect to run legally in belgium... i DO want to fiddle with mine AND drive in belgium, and i want to do it safely, and i want to do it legally... it's as simple as that... i asked for further advice and got some well balanced replies considering how emotive a subject it can be on that internet... you brought up the legalities of not running shocks :?

i'm 40, i want to look after my family and i want them to be safe.

quite a common viewpoint i'd imagine ?

if YOU want to run safely and legally in the UK then you need shock absorbers on your bus.

it's as simple as that.

if you don't want to run them then don't... you might be young, free and single and without a care in the world for all i know... i'm not going to judge you, i just personally don't want to be driving along checking round every corner for the police... the 'paranoia' which nate T2 alluded to earlier on... 'getting the fear'...

:wink:

Some things - according to the Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989, indicators must be a minimum of 350mm above the ground (check front indicators?), and for colour:

7. Colour-
(a) Any vehicle not covered by sub-paragraph (b): Amber

(b) An indicator fitted to a motor vehicle first used before 1st September 1965 and any trailer drawn thereby-

(i) if it shows only the front: White or amber
(ii) if it shows only the rear: Red or amber
(iii) if it shows both to the front and to the rear: Amber

smudge said:
More Scary to me is all you people ridding dropped spindles from NAT @WW...welded shit waiting to fail!...think about it :)

they'll be fine dude, cast steel once welded is ok, how do you think the first sets of dropped spindles were made? Ive made 'raised' ball joint disc spindles for my mate, who goes off road HARD... they'll never break.

if i ever get my hands on a pair of bay spindles ill be doing the same for another mate of mine! but dropped ones!!!

did you seen the ones fro a dude over in Belgium, VERY nice.... they're 5"! look it up on VZi readers rides, bays on dropped spindles or similar..

the councillor said:
and last i 'heard' about you you'd sold your bus on ebay... did that all fall through ?

i've recently shaved my head... was gonna have 'i am the egg man' as an avatar but didn't you have that once... it's a small world etc. etc.

well the dude didn't want it in the end, he paid my fees, gave me good feed back.... shit happens.... Ive got the ££ to keep it now anyway so all is well.... just need 17"radars to make use of the HUGE tubs.

the egg man thing is a Beatles reference, as a friend had 4000 holes in Blackburn Lancashire... thought it were quite funny!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqOKvonLrH8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

55seconds in.... lol

the councillor said:
anyway, hark at you calling out T2D and the bay or whatever it's called... don't they drive theirs or something :?: as bad as me by the sounds of it...

dunno what its called, it has been at afew shows, ive never seen it up close tho always see it in pics after! is that was its called? 'ballz body drop bay' never seen a build up either?

any info here?

i dunno if they use it TBO, but its low, too low? no where near! lol

the councillor said:
smudge said:
BUT as people insist on being 'correct' on this thread...i need dampers. :lol:

yes, you DO need dampers on your bus, but i don't think it's got anything to do with people insisting on being 'correct' on this thread... i think it's got more to do with that pesky ministry of transport and their infernal annual test :evil:

it's an attitude i face most days when i'm out being a community busy body instead of being in the garage getting stuff slammed like you lot... why do i HAVE to have a police check to work in a school... why MUST the local youth club have a committee of no more than twelve and no less than six... why CAN'T we drive at more than seventy on the motorway... the germans can... why CAN'T we run shock-less narrowed front ends... the americans can and on and on and on into a giant beaurocratic nightmare :(

somebody has come on here and stated that you can't 'fiddle' with your suspension and expect to run legally in belgium... i DO want to fiddle with mine AND drive in belgium, and i want to do it safely, and i want to do it legally... it's as simple as that... i asked for further advice and got some well balanced replies considering how emotive a subject it can be on that internet... you brought up the legalities of not running shocks :?

i'm 40, i want to look after my family and i want them to be safe.

quite a common viewpoint i'd imagine ?

if YOU want to run safely and legally in the UK then you need shock absorbers on your bus.

it's as simple as that.

if you don't want to run them then don't... you might be young, free and single and without a care in the world for all i know... i'm not going to judge you, i just personally don't want to be driving along checking round every corner for the police... the 'paranoia' which nate T2 alluded to earlier on... 'getting the fear'...

:wink:

what i was actualy getting at is the SPRING is the shock and the tube thing is a Damper 8)

When i started work on the Piper i drove it aroung the block with no Dampers...3000000quid latter a came out the dentist from having me fillings put back in!. :lol: first and last time for me :) ps 40 you say??im not far behind you :wink: 8)

alex said:
smudge said:
did you seen the ones fro a dude over in Belgium, VERY nice.... they're 5"! look it up on VZi readers rides, bays on dropped spindles or similar..

the councillor said:

well the dude didn't want it in the end, he paid my fees, gave me good feed back.... shit happens.... Ive got the ££ to keep it now anyway so all is well.... just need 17"radars to make use of the HUGE tubs.

the egg man thing is a Beatles reference, as a friend had 4000 holes in Blackburn Lancashire... thought it were quite funny!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqOKvonLrH8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

55seconds in.... lol

I saw them 5" ones mate...very tempting. 8)

alex said:

the egg man thing is a Beatles reference

to be honest, and i know that this is gonna sound weird seeing as i've never even met you or seen your bus, but it's sort of got its own notoriety now hasn't it ? what with the internet and forums and everything and seeing it in adverts for shows in the magazines... it's YOUR bus, it's the lowest DRIVEN one i can think of so it'd be a shame to see somebody else driving it and taking all the plaudits, even though in all likelihood i WOULDN'T actually see the other person driving it about because i don't really go to the shows and i hardly leave cornwall anyway... but you get my drift 8)

as for the beatles reference... we had to sing their songs in assembly at school such was the strength of feeling for them 'up there' at the time, although it's amazing how many people have commented on my head, and when i say "i AM the egg man... coo coo cachoo" they just look blankly at me and say "i beg your pardon ?"

sitting in an english garden waiting for the sun... never more apt :roll:

the T2D thing is absolutely perfect in my eyes... a LATE bay (oh the shame) on stock steelies as low as anything i've ever seen... i don't really know a great deal about it other than it looks absolutely ace, but it does bring up the whole 'degrees of slamming' thing again, because the early westy that they had in there that was 'tractor boy's off VZI was rolling at the sort of ride height that most 'normal' people would call 'slammed' but then there was a picture of it sat next to the red panel and it absolutely dwarfed it :twisted:

but then i've not checked its scrub clearance or the load rating of its tyres etc. etc. etc. :roll:

smudge said:
what i was actualy getting at is the SPRING is the shock and the tube thing is a Damper 8)

When i started work on the Piper i drove it aroung the block with no Dampers...3000000quid latter a came out the dentist from having me fillings put back in!. :lol: first and last time for me :) ps 40 you say??im not far behind you :wink: 8)

oh yeah, the spring being the shock absorber and the 'shock absorber' being the damper :?

like a tomato being a fruit and all that... well worth me typing a 3000 word essay at two in the morning then having completely missed the point of your post... well done me :oops:

however, spirit of contrition cast aside for a moment, if it's those 'flipped' balljoint spindles you're talking about, they look well iffy to me - all that force acting on the threaded part of the balljoint alone :eek:

or, as is more likely, have i missed the point of them too :lol:

I opted for Kand L spindles on mine because i didnt want to go through a set of ball joints every year..plus them one that are sold with arms by a certain company are a shower of dogs doo doo.

Being an early 69 im quite lucky that my beam pattern is the same as a split so pretty much a straight bolt on conversion...apart from adding adjusters.There are downers with KnL too...but its only a matter of keeping them well greesed up or steering becomes very heavy!

all thats really left to do on mine is to sort out the ride height and measure for shocks/dampers whatever you want to call them :lol: Being as a split beam is 60 mm narrower from a bay beam it tucks the wheels in nicely without looking stupid.

On the rears im still Ummimg and Arring over the WW horse shoe plate.They are good as like a straight axle kit on a split they mantain the some track width as standard make the removal of the rear wheels alittle easier.Just dont no if im happy with the shafts etc hanging on 2 of the 4 bolts..Any thoughts would be good 8)

the councillor said:
the T2D thing is absolutely perfect in my eyes... a LATE bay (oh the shame) on stock steelies as low as anything i've ever seen... i don't really know a great deal about it other than it looks absolutely ace, but it does bring up the whole 'degrees of slamming' thing again, because the early westy that they had in there that was 'tractor boy's off VZI was rolling at the sort of ride height that most 'normal' people would call 'slammed' but then there was a picture of it sat next to the red panel and it absolutely dwarfed it :twisted:

From what I saw of it at Bug Jam, theyve lowered the van as they 'normally' do and then chopped the body in half, and welded it all back together, lower ..... twas mad, and made an interesting aside to the Just Kampers 'lowest bus' sideshow, which, of course, was a different kettle of fish.
Looking at the T2D blog, I think the Ballz bay is intended to be shown MOT'd(?) at Brighton this weekend, so Ill be better informed.

Clem said:
the councillor said:

From what I saw of it at Bug Jam, theyve lowered the van as they 'normally' do and then chopped the body in half, and welded it all back together, lower ..... twas mad, and made an interesting aside to the Just Kampers 'lowest bus' sideshow, which, of course, was a different kettle of fish.
Looking at the T2D blog, I think the Ballz bay is intended to be shown MOT'd(?) at Brighton this weekend, so Ill be better informed.

Id like to see some pics of this..sounds insane! 8)

dyn004_original_400_300_gif_2550189_e170d59aed051f2b343aca5536c67803.gif

dyn004_original_300_400_gif_2550189_455d1b5f94de10638d82e1f7f2e05ead.gif

Not your normal tubbing!

You can see the floor drop in the sliding door in this shot -

dyn004_original_640_480_pjpeg_2539478_574163629c85a09e2ba5271d4c770377.jpg

Latest posts