Any ideas please

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ground hugger

Reaction score
Hi Folks need your help :)
Ive got a 1600 tp standard engine with a 34 pic 3 carb and a standard air filter.
Its been running fine for a year apart from the odd drop in power/momentum,i put this down to not replacing the float valve on the carb because it didn't look the same as the original (looked bigger).

Eg:- If i was approaching a roundabout and going straight on in 4th ,slow down a bit hit the roundabout drop it down to third slowing down ,then accelerate out of the roundabout it would suddenly drop in power (like slamming the brakes on)ease of the accelerator and it would pick up slowly and carry on ok.

my thoughts flooding :?

Eg 2 :-driving down a long road all down hill 55-60 ish take foot of accelerator,road goes into a dip then starts to climb,vans slowing down .Put the accelerator down to get up the hill, sudden drop in power(like slamming the brakes on)ease of the accelerator and it starts to pick up again (very slowly)

my thoughts flooding again :?

It would do this about 7 out of 10 times on the same route,then last weekend I was driving along 35-40 put the foot down to go up a hill and it did the same as above.
It picked up again but didn't feel right lack of power wouldn't go over 40 mph on a road that id just been doing 55-60 on :?

Any way :D today I replaced the fuel filter(full of crap)and bought and fitted a carb refurb kit,well the main carb gasket the manifold gasket and the float valve with the brass washer that came in the kit :D

Started it up,now it won't tick-over and the revs are all over the place.If I put the foot down it revs really quick up to 3500 revs faster than it used to do then some times nothing at all..........Any ideas...Cheers Dave

ground hugger said:
Started it up,now it won't tick-over and the revs are all over the place.If I put the foot down it revs really quick up to 3500 revs faster than it used to do then some times nothing at all..........Any ideas...Cheers Dave

Thats because when you fitted the carb to manifold gasket you somehow managed to bend the gasket at the back,trapping it and squashing it thus causing it to leek
"what a tit" :oops: :lol:

Latest posts