Why a narrowed beam

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheAlastair34

Reaction score
Hi,

alot of people run narrowed beams, at what point do you actually need one if that makes sense?

how low can you run a van without a narrowed beam is most of it done for looks?

im quite happy notching and tubbing but was unsure of when the beam width restricts things

thanks!

So without narrowed beam:

1910215_47844915443_9603_n.jpg

Mine is the further van in primer,

10401424_10155128332245444_2530593243840703783_n.jpg

This is with the narrowed beam,

For me it just meant that with the added width of a disc brake kit and the ET of most Allloys wheels it brings the edge of the wheel inside the ridge you can feel up inside the wheel arch tub on the outer edge. this means you can run that 3cm lower as there is less of the tub where the wheel sits for it to rub on.

Hope this helps explain things?

Cheers

Alex

they are secret Commer van lovers and want that wheel barrow look :D

think alex might be more right though!

TheAlastair34 said:
thanks alex

so if you were to tub a van you could run as low as you wanted on a normal width beam?

You could, but you'd probably run into the problem of also having to tub your doors.

Yeah moseley has it spot on, you will end up having to tub your doors too, which is a bucket load of work.

Also you best be short, I have found anyone 6ft and above struggles in busses withs tubs to see out the windscreen without a crooked neck!

Even if you chop out the box section on the wheel arch, you'll start to bend you're outer wheel arches on full lock.

I bent mine, and I wasnt 'that' low. A narrowed beam sorted it!

Clem said:
Even if you chop out the box section on the wheel arch, you'll start to bend you're outer wheel arches on full lock.

any pics of how low your was clem on a stock beam?

Alex VW Heritage said:
Yeah moseley has it spot on, you will end up having to tub your doors too, which is a bucket load of work.

Also you best be short, I have found anyone 6ft and above struggles in busses withs tubs to see out the windscreen without a crooked neck!

at least i might get away with that then im 5'7 :lol:

TheAlastair34 said:
Clem said:

any pics of how low your was clem on a stock beam?

Because they look cool as fook 8) :lol:

My bus has an adjustable 6" king & link pin which I made myself. Doesn't need to be that narrow to be as low as it is but I just really like the tucked look.

K@rlos said:
Because they look cool as fook 8) :lol:

My bus has an adjustable 6" king & link pin which I made myself. Doesn't need to be that narrow to be as low as it is but I just really like the tucked look.

What kind of turning circle do you get with that?! :eek:

Cant beat a bit of tuckage
Mine is a 4'' narrowed slamworks beam at the front and custom 2.5'' narrowed suspension at the rear

:D

You guys who are running a narrowed beam also running with shocks? I have a 76 with a narrowed beam, drop spindles, tubbed front and notched rear. Whoever did mine removed the front shocks and sway bar. I hate the way the bus rides and am taking it to a local shop to see if we can get shocks and sway bar on the front.
Just curious what others have done.
Thanks for any input

First said:
You guys who are running a narrowed beam also running with shocks? I have a 76 with a narrowed beam, drop spindles, tubbed front and notched rear. Whoever did mine removed the front shocks and sway bar. I hate the way the bus rides and am taking it to a local shop to see if we can get shocks and sway bar on the front.
Just curious what others have done.
Thanks for any input

My set up is narrowed 2 inches and pretty low , i have no anti roll bar , but obviously have shocks , ride is pretty good

I have shocks and no anti roll bar but narrowing a beam will in theory make it stiffer any way because the spring leaves are shorter. Mine rides and drives really nice.

Latest posts