why did you buy your bus ?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clare and I went to BugJam a couple of times (never ever again) and camped next my old MK5 GTI - got a bit wet and windy on a few occasions so we thought we would get something more weather proof than a tent. We also wanted to travel through and around europe and a bus would be ideal. Always thought the buses parked up looked really smart.

Initially we looked at splitty's however people wanted daft money for them and I didn't really fit inside one!
Bay window buses have always been a favorite of mine although I didn't understand the differences between Early/Xover/Late bays until we really started looking.

Now we have Murphy we are happy and ready to travel (almost) anywhere - not really worried when we cover literally 1000's of miles over a couple of days.

I bought a beetle for my first car about 2 years ago now, went to a few shows and camped. Decided I was bored of camping in a small tent and bought a camper 10 ish months ago.

Luckily I'm in a well paid apprenticeship and I have done all the work myself to save money.

So at the moment I own a UK 72 Beetle and a US 71 tintop bus.

Beetle will most likely be up for sale this year though, MOT has run out already and I've started work to repair the front frame head. So my bus is my daily driver and is a long way off being finished too!

Sent from my 02_jbla668 using Tapatalk

I'd always had a caravan so went camping a lot, but i always wanted a campervan (not actually a vw - just a camper) had landrovers for 21 years so was used to classics and show scene etc so sort of got drawn to looking at vw's as an option, fast forward to feb 2011 and my mom is real ill in hostpital and it made me think if i don't get a van now i'll never get one,that programme one man and his campervan was on at the time so i started looking on ebay etc, sadly mom didn't make it but she no doubt forced my hand as when she died on the 11 march i'd mentioned to her i was thinking about it, by march 30 i'd paid for one off the samba with a big loan i couldn't afford and i'd never even sat in one........
shame it's a late eh boys?
arrived may 2011 and had it 3 years now.
still hunting for the perfect 68.

We camped a lot in our younger days, loved it, then took to foreign beach holidays. But we always hated the hassle of airports, etc., and over a few glasses of wine one sunny Sunday in 2011 we hatched a plan to buy a camper. We did not have a clue, never even owned a VW before, but I have always dribbled at the sight of a T2 so there was no other choice really. :D

Foolishly rushed in, and parted with too much cash for a rust bucket the following month, but now consider it the best purchase we ever made. If we had thought about it, and not rushed in, we may have come to our senses and booked a flight somewhere sunny. :lol:

My only real experience of anything beyond owning a daily driver was a spot of banger racing in my youth. :roll:

I bought my first bus, some 20 years ago :shock: i lived in Devon at the time and on my own. I had a friend who was selling one and decided that i would buy it and have a surf and dinner by the sea every night in it after work 8) i did this for 3 years, and have had one ever since :mrgreen:

Having always loved camping/ the outdoors and the vw camper since childhood but never having enough money to actually own one, once life changed and this came into my reach :) we actually opted for a bay rather than a split in 2007 and have never looked back, even though she has been off the road a while during her resto we still camp frequently in the drive away awning.. and hope to be back on the road and lovely in the next few weeks (fingers crossed)

Liam

Sydney1 said:
trebor said:
I wanted a panel van, the other half likes curtains so we compromised on a westy. Plus I've paid enough tax and wanted something free. :)

I wanted more sex and the other half wanted less so we compromised and don't have any!
nice one :D
Well we used to go away allot on the motor bike rally style, I have 2 saddlebags. One for me and one for her stuff. Mine was always full of cooking gear and tools inflatable mattresses with a few items of clothing. Hers was full of clothes and always overflowing with tins of hair spray, makeup, face wipes, you name it. Even the tent bag on the rear mudguard had her stuff in so there shouldn't be a problem with a bay van I hope :?

marco said:
Still working that one out :lol:

I enjoy lying underneath vehicles getting covered in oil and burnt by weld splatter, so I sold the T4 and bought a south africa import unseen,(except for some photo's) got delivered to me at 11.00 at night, couldn't find the lights or reverse so had to drive round the block to park it on a friends driveway. Next day I was looking at a van with 3 different size wheel/tyres, knackered window seals, lots of dents and some dodgy looking spiders nests. Not looked back :D

I'll say it " because there better than a spilttie " ... !

Well they are :D

Chris

I got mine because I was at the right spot at the right time. LOL That and I knew what it was once I saw it and I had to have it. I also felt the need to rescue it from the crusher.

Loved Beetles as a youth, went to stacks of shows, but never found the time to fit one in with other projects...fast forward 15 years, married, 2kids, the bus was the next best thing. Although looking at it now, I'd not swap it for anything...not even a bug.

stokeseys said:
mom and dad had a HEA 71k in the early 80s. i brought my first one a 71 devon after a wet camping trip in about 2003. sold it because of redundancy and helped to fund my return to studying. anyway fast forward to 2011 tent blew away in woolacombe which was no fun with two little ones. so decided to get my second bus a lhd westy. :) love my bus just wished i had more money to keep on top of her

Thats so uncanny, when I was younger our tent blew away in Woolacombe as well and thats what prompted my folks to buy our bay! Funny eh!

Dont suppose you were camping at North Morte were you :lol:

My family had always had VW's and my older sister had a succesion of beetles, it seemed inevitable that a bug would be my first car. I went to some Bug Jams and RTTS's but I was doing more mountain bike racing back then than anything, so when my bug got a bit too worn out a van seemed a sensible move. It wasnt of course, it was rusty, slow and expensive to run but I kept it for 14 years after 'doing it up' half way through that time. I sold it at the right time, and sold it for the same price that I was then able to buy my Westy for, so essentially swapped a very repaired UK '79 for a straight US '68.

I brought my bus two years ago - why? I have always wanted one and after being made redundant that year I decided - life is too short and I did not want to one day look back over my life and regret never having owned my own bus. It is one of the best purchases I have ever made. I have learnt much during the two years, I have grazed many knuckles and spent a few quid - but every part of this is worth it.
For me my bus is an investment, not financially, but for the enriched life that my bus has steered me towards.

My dad has had beetles and campers since the 60's so I've been brought up around them and love them. Brought mine at 18, it's cost me a fortune! I've restored, slammed and built a fast engine for it so now I'm enjoying it 8)

Latest posts