Why has my indicator stalk gone nuts?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First time poster, so really welcome your help:

I have a LHD '72 crossover, and after having a new interior fitted, the indicator stalk is doing strange things!

Indicating right is fine, but left makes the (left) indicators blink in double-time. And don't know if it's related, but the stalk now also won't now click in to put the lights into out of high-beam.

Been told it's either the indicator relay (but then surely the right-hand indicator would also be blinking fast?) or maybe the solenoid. And can't see how that would stop the stalk clicking into high-beam .

Is is just the relay, a loose wire maybe, the solenoid, or do I need a new indicator stalk altogether?

Thanks in advance!

It's worth checking the earthing points on the front and rear lights. Bad earths can cause this to occur.

Cali_bay said:
It's worth checking the earthing points on the front and rear lights. Bad earths can cause this to occur.

Cheers Johnny, would that cause the indicator not to go into high-beam as well? It won't click in, which feels more mechanical, but is that more of an electrical thing too?

Ta muchly!

The wires on the switch also get quite brittle and these can come adrift causing a short or failure to operate the hight beam or indicator.

I'm fairly sure that the high beam switch operates a latching relay rather than a mechanical latch. The indicators do operate on a mechanical latch. It's worth taking the switch apart and having a look to see if there are any wire breaks.

Cali_bay said:
The wires on the switch also get quite brittle and these can come adrift causing a short or failure to operate the hight beam or indicator.

I'm fairly sure that the high beam switch operates a latching relay rather than a mechanical latch. The indicators do operate on a mechanical latch. It's worth taking the switch apart and having a look to see if there are any wire breaks.

Check for blown or badly/wrongly installed lamps too, and when you dismantle the switch itself give it good clean out as it probably be chock full of crap. When refitting, try it in ever so slightly different positions on the steering column too. Sounds daft I know, but a quarter inch movement downwards made a heck of a difference on mine :D .

Good luck.

As above really - though there is also the possibility the switch got knocked during the installation of the new interior - its easily done tbh.

We had similar problems, we removed the whole assembly and gave it to a friend who is good with electrics. He cleaned everything up and re-soldered the connections and its as good as new. :lol:

+1 on rotating the indicator housing - mine is worn and moves occasionally - just needs a push down and rotate - believe no latch on switch for main beam goes via the relay, as both high beam relay and indicators playing up have you checked they haven't been knocked on the fusebox underneath? (if it's the same fuseboard as a '71 - they are underneath - mine fill with water when it rains due to leaky windscreen seal :roll: )

Hi, sorry to jump on this topic I've got a 71 westy and main beam won't latch on with indicator stalk but if I operate the light switch off then on again ensuring side lights remain on the main beam operates as normal?? Any ideas, relay possibly?
Any info appreciated!

Sharkyrayner said:
Hi, sorry to jump on this topic I've got a 71 westy and main beam won't latch on with indicator stalk but if I operate the light switch off then on again ensuring side lights remain on the main beam operates as normal?? Any ideas, relay possibly?
Any info appreciated!

I had the same thing happen on my 68 a few wires inside the stalk had come loose

Bondo said:
Sharkyrayner said:
Any info appreciated!

I had the same thing happen on my 68 a few wires inside the stalk had come loose
+1. I re-soldered mine, all good now.

Thanks for all the help everyone, didn't have the time over the weekend to look at, so took it to the local friendly neighbourhood mechanic today, he took the stalk apart, gave everything a good clean and checked the connections, and bingo - all sorted.

So next time I'll know! Thanks again y'all.

Latest posts