Wide 5 brake drums

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Analog

Reaction score
I was under the impression the rear drums had not been available for some time,

is it just the backing plates or am i getting confused as I noticed Just Kampers sell the drum itself? I dont know if thats a new product for them?

http://www.justkampers.com/shop/rear-brake-drum-j10277.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think the drums have always been available but I could be wrong. Expensive though! they were about 56 quid on heritage although they haven't had them for a while. I was trying to find out what the difference is between the F and G drums. I have the F and they are £188 at heritage :shock: makes the G drums at JK look cheap.

Anyone know if the F & G are interchangeable? I don't need any now but it'll good for future reference

211 501 615 G - are listed in my parts catalogue as upto (and including) '70, no reference to anything earlier.

211 501 615 F - I can't find this at all, even the splitscreen catalogue only goes to an 'E'

:)

Be wary of repro rear drums. Some are made of soft metal and have been known to fail when the splines give way. Better to find some reasonably good OG drums and give them a light skim (0.5 mm is usually enough). ;)

that will be the confusion then, i think i remember now, 67/ 68 had a one year only drum/backing plate

cool air do the G cheaper than JK

http://www.coolairvw.co.uk/Item/Shop_by_Product~Brake_Products~Brake_Drums/211501615G/T2_68-70_Rear_Brake_Drum.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seeing as the OG parts catalgoue don't list the 'F' there's a good chance they where superceded by the 'G', maybe something on the 'F' wasn't quite thick enough so they upgraded them for 69 - 70 but was backwards compatible for the '68????

:)

the differance is the rain lip,thats why the back plate is differant as well,68 drums are the same as late split BUT with shorter splines so they just need machineing down if thats cheaper (68/69 only!!!!)

67panel said:
the differance is the rain lip,thats why the back plate is differant as well,68 drums are the same as late split BUT with shorter splines so they just need machineing down if thats cheaper (68/69 only!!!!)

Great stuff thanks, I thought someone on here would know :) Rear drums for a late split are about £55 so much much cheaper. Well worth knowing if/when I need new ones.

Sorry for the slight thread hijack!

67westy said:
Sorry for the slight thread hijack!

no thread hijack. its all good things to know.

found some info

feb '68 (from chassis 218 109 823)

brake backing plates front and rear got hole for inspecting brake pad thickness, rear brake backing plate and drum changed, different design works better to keep dirt outside the drum.

( sourced from the Molenaar and Prinz spec guide )

Latest posts