Window rubbers.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pete nice

Reaction score
Has anyone had trouble fitting side windows? I bought genuine rubbers from JK but I just can't get the windows in!

I am no mug, I managed to fit the wind screen on my own with the old rubber which is no easy task. I have done loads of windows before, but never had anything like this.

What rubbers does everyone use?

I struggled to fit the sliding door rubber too. i had to trim it down as it was too thick & made the door stick out. The engine bay seal was all over the show too. I haven't tried to fit up the front doors yet either.

Why do we have to put up with this crap? My hands hurt!

not done the job for a few years, have the whole bus to do next year and I've decided to buy Gen VW seals from Status I've heard they are about the best.
as you say though Pete, if you're using gen VW - there shouldn't be a problem :?
don't take this the wrong way -I know you are well into your dubs,but it's worth mentioning in case others don't know that factory side windows are different to panel van converted windows.

I did & they don't fit.

The window is the one that came out so it's only the rubber is different. There has been no repairs to the window area, just a quick lick of paint.

I will try again with the middle window or tail gate soon & see if that is any better.

There are two types of "genuine rubbers" sold.

1. Genuine Brazilian (not so good quality)
2. Genuine German (best quality available)

Best source for rubbers I've found is http://www.status-vw.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; not the cheapest but they do fit well. Just fitted a complete set of door seals from status and they are identical to the original ones.

I am sure these are genuine Brazilian ones. They are just way too fat & won't go in the hole.

Think I am gonna have to change them.

The tail gate seal is a grey one & went straight in. The sliding door rubber was a nightmare. I have trimmed loads off the thickness.

Hi not had a problem fitting side window seals, apart from westie ones, a bit of a nightmare. You really need 2 people, the one on the outside really shoves it EVENLY hands spaced evenly fingers spread , make sure you use plenty of washing liquid, to get it pushed up to the metal lip. then good firm pressure from the outside as you pull the string, preferably non nylon as it tends to rip the rubber. (ooh err missus) :oops:
The door seals I buy from heritage I think are gen vw brazil, they do make the door sit out proud for a bit, as they are quite hard but eventually they do crush down. you can adjust the sliding door at the bottom with the allen key bolts to give it a bit more space until they squash down a bit and then bring it back in. The cab door seals its best to fit dry first then pull out section by section and glue with some sort of contact glue. When pushing the rubbers in use a wooden spatula or wedge type thing (not a screwdriver!) :wink:

Pete

I bought these :( , complete nightmare to fit, even a friend (windscreen fitter) walked away, I eventually got them fitted but they do not seal properly and in fact have trapped water and I now have the dreaded cancer showing through :cry: :cry: , So I have to strip down and repaint the top half at some point. I wish I never throw the originals out now :!:

Mmmm,
I reckon I am gonna try some different rubbers. I have fitted loads of windows before. There were 2 of us trying to fit the rear side window. The window in the rubber won't even sit in the aperture. It's just wrong.
I fitted the front screen on my own which is not an easy thing to do. I am converting from 3/4 glass & 1/4 light windows to 1 piece glass. I had to cut the old rubbers out, so they are scrap.
Even the rubber mallet refused to make any difference!

Pants!

Pete..You are not alone. I bought a seal from VW Heritage for my middle window.

It was too baggy and would not fit. VW Heritage totally disinterested and I will not be buying seals from them again.

I bought another from Status and it went straight in and I can confirm is watertight.

I think the common concencus is that Status are the boys for seals that do just that...seal !!.

Stirlingmoz

Cool. Sounds like I will need to give them a go. That's £100 worth of rubbers!

Dunno what to do with my other new ones now? Think I have 3 side window ones.

i tieid with a friend to fit c+c deluxe sides with no sucess.
heritage quote 68-72 sides and 73> are different
they list different years for plan seals but not for deluxe seals

i spoke to status at vanfest and they said theres would fit so fingers crossed!

Never had a decent bit of rubber from JK :( .
All their other stuff is between good n brilliant but their rubber :|
Got a full window set from C&C havnt tried fitting em yet.
Anyone else used C&C for rubber :?:

Teeny tiny point from a post above - I am sure I was told not to use washing up liquid to lubricate, as it contains lots of salt - not somthing you want trapped under the rubber - may be total BS and wrong, but thought I'd mention it (no idea what to use instead?!)

angus said:
Teeny tiny point from a post above - I am sure I was told not to use washing up liquid to lubricate, as it contains lots of salt - not somthing you want trapped under the rubber - may be total BS and wrong, but thought I'd mention it (no idea what to use instead?!)

your right about the washing up liquid, it contains a type of salt amoungst other things like anionic surfactants and which can accelerate rusting.

I used lots of 'son of a gun', really keeps the rubbers supple as well.

pete nice said:
Gun powder wouldn't have got these fuckers in!
:lol: :lol:

I found Waxoyle to be a good rubber lube and of course leaves a protective coating behind the rubber.

I used rear side rubbers from Status and man were they hard to fit. Like you Pete, Ive done loads but these were mad .... got them in eventually but mine and my mates hands were nearly broken from glass whacking!
The glass was bending as we tried to pull it in! Once in though they are great and Im glad I stuck with it.
The last rubber I had from JK was chuffing awful - a 'universal' sliding door rubber, so have used Staus since then, expensive but quality everytime. I bought a pair of cab door seals at Vanfest to fit next, twice as dear as the brazilian repros they do, but a world apart, even at first glance!

Latest posts