Windscreen Fitting Problems

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vwcanuck

Reaction score
Last week my son and I repaired the rust & rot on the windscreen sill of our 68 panel van. Having installed a new rubber seal at the rear window, we figured we could do this no problem. After following the same procedure with the cord in the rubber seal, silicone on the bus' edge and some forceful persuasion we were ... unsuccessful. After several tries we had very little left to put in place but realised that the windscreen was not aligned in the frame perfectly, so out it came. BTW the windscreen is like new other than a few light scrapes left from a neglected wiper.

Fast forward ... a couple of days ago some friends helped and we got it in perfeclty, first time. Woohoo! Then the noise started. The beautiful, original VW windscreen that had been sitting in an old dried up, leaking rubber seal for years (thanks to the PO) was now pushing the new German quality seal out of place. We removed and reset it after removing as much silicone as was possible only to hear and watch it push the lower edge out completely. The repairs done to the lower sill left as much of the good original metal to preserve the correct shape. The lip for the rubber gasket is original and was not moved, removed, replaced at all. Only the horizontal sill was repaired.

I don't know what to do! Has anyone experienced this before? What can I do to get the windscreen to fit ... and stay?!

the screens are "dry fit" no silicone or any other stuff needed just a lubricant when fitting like window cleaning spray, if you have a leak you can use a type of window sealer that doesn't set like silicone.

Thanks Gents! I had read many places online that glass went in easier with the use of silicone ... so I tried it. :(

Hmmm ... now to get out the kerosene to remove the silicone before I go buy another rubber seal.

I use waxoyl, it helps slip it in nicely and then protects. ;-)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

mattyd72 said:
I use waxoyl, it helps slip it in nicely and then protects. ;-)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Well bugger me that's a top idea
Got a guy from the AA to do mine and he used duck oil :shock:

Hello

i used a product call flash dash

i buyed from halfords auto shop

it is very good and make very easy to fit front screen

karl

WD40 works well as a lube. A neat trick with the cord;
Once the rubber is on the screen, as you thread the cord into the rubber form a loop (twist the cord so it looks like half a figure of eight) in the centre of each of the three sides with the ends of the cord crossed over on the forth.
Offer the screen up to the bus, you need two pairs of hands for this, make sure all the loops and ends are inside the bus.
Centre the screen as close as you can in the opening.
With your helper holding the screen in place from the outside, start to pull the cord in by the loops.
Work side to side, top to bottom, don't try to work all the way round in one go.
With pressure on the outside and you pulling the cord on the inside, along with generous helpings of WD40, the screen should fit snugly. It may take a few firm whacks with the palm of your hand to get it to sit perfectly, take care and a little time at all should be well.

me and my brother before my first attempt wont show the aftermath as its to heartbreaking but i swore a lot, call the pro's they will do it for a fair few beer tokens

vwcanuck said:
Thanks Gents! I had read many places online that glass went in easier with the use of silicone ... so I tried it. :(

Hmmm ... now to get out the kerosene to remove the silicone before I go buy another rubber seal.

I think people would have meant silicon spray, not actual silicon..It does work well IMO

Don't use silicon spray anywhere NEAR a vehicle let alone on it! Ever tried to paint a van that has had silicone spray used on it? Fisheyes everywhere, even with bar coat - impossible to get a finish.

I have always used Johnson's baby powder talc to fit screens and seals. VW used talc in the factory. Waxoyl might be OK but I would be wary as the solvents can mess up some types of rubber seal.

When I worked for auto windscreens all we used was windscreen cleaner A alcohol based one so it dried up afterwards.
With waxoil if you have a bump the window might slip out. :(

another tip,use a nozzle of a cartidge tube to feed cord into screen rubber.quicker and wont mess your fingers pulling the rubber apart.

matt-me said:
I think people would have meant silicon spray, not actual silicon..It does work well IMO

That's what I used and I have to agree with BJ1 ... don't put it anywhere near your vehicle's paint. I wiped down, what I thought was, all the silicone spray and reprimed, which did not not take because there was still silicone residue. So sand I did before more filler and primer.

I hope attempt number 10 is successful tonight.

Success! A couple of friends came over and we got the job done. The original windscreen is back in with a new German rubber seal. We didn't use anything for "lube" so it was a tough go but it seems to want to stay in solid as new. Woohoo!

Thanks very much for all of the helpful advice gents :D

could anyone give me the measurement from top to bottom of the window recess without the glass or rubber in place. I'm replacing the lower windscreen panel and have no measurements to work off as it was shot. Thanks

Hi Danny, I’ll try and get them tonight or tomorrow. I should be able to peel the rubber back easy enough as I did exactly this some time last year so the rubber is still newish.

Ozziedog,,,,,,, screens are always worth a missing knuckle or two :mrgreen:

Latest posts