Wiring in a stereo

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

froggy

Reaction score
When wiring a stereo where do you take the 12volt supply from?
Is there a certain fuse that can be used or is it just a case of running a wire straight from the battery?
The previous owner had got the wiring for the stereo connected to the leisure battery but i've just ripped all this wiring out as it was only powering the radio and the interior lights, (he'd cut the feed from the fuse box to the interior light switch and connected the leisure battery feed into the switch, so i also need to find the wire from the fuses to the interior light switch,) the battery that he was using as a leisure battery was a standard car battery but it was as dead as a dodo, the water in it was brown so binned this and then cut all the wiring out!

You could either run a wire from your battery and have an inline fuse
or take a feed off the fuse box.
if there isn't a spare fuse its wise to take a feed of a fuse for something non essential just because if you took a feed off the same fuse for say your headlights and something shorted out at night it could cause all kinds of head aches.

i'm quite new to camper vans but generally stereos use the same fuse as iterior lights and cig lighters. but if your worried about tapping into the fuse box coming straight off the battery is the safe bet just make sure you use a insulated fuse holder coming off the battery.

While we are on the subject is it possible to wire in a radio so it will only work when the ignition is turned.

Cheers

I have wired mine to the leisure battery with new wiring. I am using a moody old battery for testing until I buy a proper one.

I can run it flat at a show & still start the car. I would have kept it how it was.

Any live feed should be ok as long as it's fused.

To wire to the ignition you will need a 12v constant live for the memory & an ignition live for the power on. If you sit listening to the radio with the ignition on & not running, you can burn the engine coil out.

Latest posts