won't idle.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skyguy

Reaction score
This has more than likely been asked before, but I have just taken my van out its winter storage and it runs like shit won't idle and seems to have no power at all where do I start to find the problem?

Sounds like the timing, your distributor cap may of been loose and move? Failing that it would be your carb set up

It is most probably the fuel's gone off.

I had a similar issue and spent ages doing plugs timing etc.
Turned out air was being sucked in to the manifold via the tube in the side below the carb, so one quick check is just to cap off that tube to see if it steadies the idle.

Change the fuel as a first little job just so you know what you are working with so you can eliminate that. Then start looking for air leaks as a second thing if the fuel don`t cure it. You might want to check any rubbers etc for air leaks that might have developed when it was in storage and the fuel pipes too for that matter, also any rubbers or stuff going to a servo if you got one. Check your air filters are clean and nothing of the furry nature has wintered in there :shock: . After that have a little squiz at the points, then just routine maintainence as suggested above ^^^ There`s some funny stuff happening to rubbers lately with this E5 and E10 lurking about including diaphragms :?

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I just like talking about rubbers :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:

mine wouldn't idle until yesterday when i revved it a bit and blocked the carb top with my hand. I assume it sucked the dirt out of the pilot jet. Problem went away but probably need a good clean out.

Thanks for the replies guys, heres what has happened, had the engine out to redo part of the wiring loom, so far changed the coil set the points set the static timing and now it turns like a jet engine but won't fjre, the only thing I have not done is changed the fuel.

I know this might sound daft, but are all your plugs in ? Have the tappets been adjusted perhaps a little on the tight side ? For the engine to whizz over it sounds like a loss of compression somewhere, if there is no physical damage visible then you got to be thinking valves or valve train or a holed piston but that all sounds very dramatic for just having your engine in and out, didn`t fall off the trolley jack or something silly like that ?

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Let`s hope for something simple maybe :mrgreen:

Latest posts