Worlds longest resto?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The paint sort of glues all your little jobs together. Looks fab as can be and I'm stoked for you. I too have been 'Handbagging' my near side front step and I've got two or three to practice on or play with so that's a little inspiration to crack on with mine. I've also got a propex to fit since we had that first group buy about four or maybe five years ago, that looks perfect, not sure which side to use though , no or os. Do you think a long narrow gas cylinder could fit under the other seat upright? Possibly with access through the bulkhead, needs investigating I think. At this rate you'll be moting and at the shows soon and camping and maybe the early bay camp out next year for the fiftieth :?:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, Just shows how lazy I've got :mrgreen: :roll: :mrgreen:

@ Ozziedog - the Propex has to go on the drivers side or you won't be able to get the removable cover off it.

Anyway, fab weekend had here :D :D :D

Wet flatted van...

Mmmm, smooth! Masked up...

Put on appropriate clothing...

Paint van...

That was yesterday, quick de-mask this morning...

Looks amazing! Sooooo happy :D :D :D

On top of the world right now!

So, the van is painted (all but the doors), and the engine is ready to go in.

Still a bit of preparatory work required in the noisy cupboard...

Split charge and tidy of the loom (the wiring spur formerly for the diagnostic socket will come in handy for towbar electrics :idea: )

Leisure battery fitted (including fitting of Ctek charger and auxiliary fuse box)

I also wired up the reversing lights to the LB (camping floodlights ;) ) and provided a cable for an engine bay light in the future.

Next I needed some volunteers to assist with the engine and 'box fit. These volunteers needed to be fearless in the face several hundred kilos of VW major components wobbling around on the top of a trolley jack and also work for nowt. Where to find such helpers? No problem, I've got 3 at home...

... nearly in...

Dad, it's IN!

The lads were great today, even Mrs N turned up and mucked in!! My crossover has a type 4 in it for the first time, gonna start it up on the key for the first time tomorrow!

Well that came on quickly! Last time I looked you were putting in the fuel hatch, now you're fully painted with the engine in!! Awesome job. Looks brilliant. Must be well pleased.

Well another big day for Dorothy (that's what we call the van) today.

After mucho prepping the loose panels were all finally primed and flatted...

I realised today why I think panel prep is so lame. With mechanical stuff you can see what a good job you are doing all the way through, with body stuff (if you are an amateur like me) you only find out if you've done a good job at the end. Well, that's my theory!

Here's where I find out if the job is good...

All looks OK apart from a run on the tailgate that will flat/polish out and a foreign liquid from above that splatted onto the sliding door. Do swallows wee :?:

Managed to get the spring plates, diagonal arms and hubs on in between coats of paint too...

Slider will need another topcoat, but overall a busy but good day in the office :D

I shall have to borrow your appropriate clothing (coveralls) as they do a very very reasonable job of painting. If I borrow the aforementioned coveralls, do they come with a lovely paint finish guarantee ??? You seem to have got into the groove of it now and more than broken the back of it and you seem to be galloping along and with such a super quality workforce then why wouldn`t you. Those smaller peeps look like they mean business for sure 8) More power to you and your super crew, lets hurry up and get out there camping :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Looks ace, really does :mrgreen:

Thanks @Ozziedog

Yes the overalls guarantee a great finish on the paint - if you look like a painter, then you paint like a painter ;)
This is a case where the clothes do maketh the man!!

Goal is MoT sometime next week :shock:

If,,!!!!!!,,, that`s doable, then we might catch you at Busfest at Malvern maybe ?? Should be a few Early Bay type peeps there too :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Not long now :mrgreen:

Not updated for a wee while, but have been nibbling away at the list of jobs.

Front doors on and built up with new scrapers, seals etc.

Tailgate on and rear (heated!) screen in with new seal

Engine hatch on and light fitted - lost an hour tracing the broken earth wire (which is yellow for some reason, when every other earth is brown!?? :? )

Rear bumper painted - again :oops: after forgetting to rub down some stopper before the paint went on last time - doh! Note the oversize bumper bolts to cover up some mis-drilling (historic, not me) as the bumper is an 'early' one bodged to fit a crossover ;)

Sliding door paint attempt #2 - flatted...

... and painted, phew!

Painted the badge the 'correct' pastel white when I did the bumper

Off work this week, so hoping that I can get:

Brakes bled
Glass in
New drag link
Wheels on
MoT!!

Brakes bled - Yes
Glass in - some... missing a seal fro the n/s/r
New drag link - fitted
Wheels on - yes
MoT!! - not untili get the window in!

Extra jobs that I'd forgotten about - adjust brakes and handbrake; fit steering wheel!;

Propelled herself several feet forward and back, then stopped by her own brakes. Awesome!

Looking sweet!!!

Well, what could today bring?

A trip to the MoT station...

Ohhh, a pass!

Back home for some fizz with Mrs N

On the road after 15 years. Bloody hell we've done it!

Lots to do interior-wise, but a helluva day
:D :D :D :D :D :D

Fantastic work mate, big congrats on getting it looking so good - and even more importantly, on the road :D

Latest posts