worrying engine noises

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sannabay

Reaction score
Right, next problem.

I have a tapping noise from my engine (stock 1600 otherwise healthy twin port).
It is fairly loud at idle and is about the last sound to stop when I shut off the engine. It continues as revs increase but becomes less obvious in the general din.
I remembered that John Muir made a cassette of vw noises to compliment his idiots guide workshop manual back in the day. I found the audio files through the ratwell site and thought it sounded like the cracked crankshaft pully sound. Having a spare pully I swapped them over and found what looked like a hairline crack around where the pressed steel of the pully is welded to the more solid part that slides onto the crankshaft.
Sorted thought I, but the noise came back.
I swapped that pully for a £20 brazillian repro (functional but doesn't look right) as maybe age, or pulling on the edge rather than through the cutouts had done for my spare. I briefly ran the engine without any pully to check it wasn't something else and everything sounded fine. checking the spare pully I find a mark in the same place as on the first pully I don't recall a mark there before but not sure I checked.
So brazillian pully on and tin ware adjusted so it didn't rub and... the noise is back! B*ll*cks!

So can anyone suggest anything?

The noise is more pronounced underneith the engine than when listening from the top but due to airflow and vibration that might not be an indicator of origin. Could it be that the crankshaft is shafted (John Muirs noise on this is similar) if so would there be any way to check without splitting the case? or the fuel pump pushrod is acting up, or other, and I am on a wild goose chase. Or could My engine be killing pulleys some how, maybe excessive end float or even the wrong fan belt.

As you can see I don't know where to look next so any advice or suggestions would be very welcome.

First thing I would do is get a long screw driver place it on the block and put your ear against the handle end,keep doing this to pin point where the noise is coming from, don't forget the heads, I had a horrendous noise coming from my bus turned out to be a Broken rocker shaft, stop listening to cassettes of engine noises,

Maybe check the woodruff key is tight in the slot on the crankshaft, or that the key hasn't worn itself? I had it where the engine ticked quite loudly at tickover (went away when revved though) and it was the slot in the pulley that had worn; changed pulley and all was good. It could be the other way round with yours?

Before you go crazy with the pulleys, just have a little look at your alternator and check your fan for a dodgy or distorted blade or anything thrashing around inside like a bottle top or anything inside the fan housing.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Maybe :mrgreen:

Latest posts