wots this split,bay, crossover

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrocars

Reaction score
just saw this bus on fleabay,Item number: 330368714797 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330368714797&ssPageN" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yep , brazilian bus with fake cali plates, looks like needs the correct front bumper brackets though or is it smiling at me?
suspect1.gif

BbrymfBGkKGrHqQH-DQEquqkRDf5BKLvZhq.jpg

I can't remember the exact name/term for these buses. It's a hybrid of a 'fleetline' bus. But it's deffo been modified as the dash has been smoothed, and the fresh-air vent/indicators have been moved.

ib-bus said:
Yep , brazilian bus with fake cali plates, looks like needs the correct front bumper brackets though or is it smiling at me?
suspect1.gif

Its just feeling happy :lol:

Im still waiting for someone to fit small back lights to one and really confuse people :roll:

On the subject of 'wots this' er wats this :shock:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1978-VOLKSWAGEN-BAY-WINDOW-SPLITSCREEN-CAMPER-SPLITTY_W0QQitemZ150380656652QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAutomobiles_UK?hash=item230362b80c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hasn't got a lot going for it really:

- Its not Tax Free
- From memory its not a 1970, these were built in the late seventies
- Its not pretty
- And it certainly doesn't know what it is :lol:

Be interesting to see what the reserve is set at!

That second one with the odd split front looks like one of those fibreglass fronts that you used to be able to get to convert your bay to a splitty. If I remember correctly there were two types: one which did the whole front up to the top of the screens, and another which just went up to the bottom of the screen, which gave the front of the van the big V-shaped moulding between the headlights.
Its a shame they didn't do a kit to convert the front of a splitty into a lowlight bay.... :lol:

was looking at that and wondering how 3 different buses had been made to fit together!

late rear lights, split body and early front.... :shock: - were these just made up from old spares at the time & new bits they had in production?

Yep, re the Brazilian bus, as Graham says, that model came out later than 1970.
The splitscreen continued to be built in Brazil after production ceased in Germany, and in 1975 it gained the bay window front end. It was their way of bringing the bus more up to date, without having to retool completely! :)
They continued to be built in that style until 1996, which was when the 'current' bay version was produced there, following switching of production from Mexico (to make way for production of the 'new' Beetle).

By the way the front indicators would have originally been the late bay type. I think I remember that bus, and one other being advertized on ebay together, with mention of conversion to the early bay style at some stage! :)

wibbler said:
ib-bus said:
suspect1.gif

Its just feeling happy :lol:

Im still waiting for someone to fit small back lights to one and really confuse people :roll:

What the hell does it feel happy about? it's a parts bin special :lol:

It's frankenstein :shock:

If you wanted to freak people out it would be great to turn up at show with this.

I think its up there with one of these for bad looks.

VW_SUBARU_SAMBA_PINK.jpg

uber cool said:

If you wanted to freak people out it would be great to turn up at show with this.

VW_SUBARU_SAMBA_PINK.jpg

I HATE THESE!!! there is a grey and white 1 in Woodbridge and the owner always waves to me when he see's me.

and as for the blue 'thing' all i can suggest is....... Kill it to death :D

Westy Richardson said:
uber cool said:

VW_SUBARU_SAMBA_PINK.jpg

I HATE THESE!!! there is a grey and white 1 in Woodbridge and the owner always waves to me when he see's me.
i hope you flick the v's back ;)

wtf is it anyway?!

and just the memory of those baysplit kits gives me the heebie jeebies, why would you?! no wonder they didn't last long! :lol:

I think they were made by Subaru, baron, if I remember correctly. I assume another company then took them and 'converted' them to that retro veedub style. You can get them as bay lookalikes too! :D

One waved to me the other week. I did wave back. :lol:

Latest posts