Yet another carb question

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zappa

Reaction score
Hi people my bay is running 1641 moter with twin empi kadron carbs ,which are crap ,it pops bangs splutters ,have had them tuned umpteen times by a guy who has been tuning them for 40 odd yrs,he bows his stuff,now I've had enough and want to go to single carb ,I know I need the two inlet mana folds centre manafold ,but what's the best carb and what else do I need cheers .

I run an original solex 34pict 3 on my 1641 with a slightly larger main jet . (Think it's a 130 )
Seems to shove it along quite nicely

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Your problem probably lies with your Empi carbs being a cheap copy of decent versions. I would stick in their with the twin carbs as you'll have all the linkages etc, and switch to twin Webers or similar. There are many stories of Empi carbs being a pain to tune, although general consensus is that once running fine, they are ok.

Our van has Empi's and touch wood they are ok just now. But it is on my to-do list to swap for some Webers once my other projects are sorted. I'd much rather go with a tried and tested setup where spare parts are easier to come by and tuners are used to them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Totally with Mosely on this. I first put Kadrons on my 1641 and it ran like a dream, best bolt-on upgrade I have done. I now run them on my 1776 and having sorted out a number of other issues, they are great on that too.

That all said, I will upgrade to a pair of twin chokes (Dellorto or Weber) when I have finished the 2000 other things I have planned!

I will never go back to a single carb; less power and higher fuel consumption doesn't make sense to me. For that reason I have a full twin port inlet manifold and carb setup for sale if you want it?

zappa said:
Hi people my bay is running 1641 moter with twin empi kadron carbs ,which are crap ,it pops bangs splutters ,have had them tuned umpteen times by a guy who has been tuning them for 40 odd yrs,he bows his stuff,now I've had enough and want to go to single carb ,I know I need the two inlet mana folds centre manafold ,but what's the best carb and what else do I need cheers .

Are you sure you haven't got an exhaust leak, this will make the engine appear to run lean and cause the same symptoms as you describe.

Latest posts