Carb Help

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikeoggie

Reaction score
Hey guys,

so not long had a new 1600tp fitted to my earlybay,

got a trip to italy planned in the next few weeks and found my carb needs replacement, loads about on the web of what to go for and what to avoid but just want something clearing up,

I was looking at twin weber 34's : https://www.dellorto.co.uk/shop/vw-carburettor-kits-parts/vw-aircooled-carburettor-kits/weber-dual-34ict-carburettor-kits/vwk15-type-1-dual-port-twin-weber-34ict-csp-bellcrank-kit/

am I right in saying these are single barrel carbs? I've been told these would have to be set up richer to run better so I'm just wondering if you would see any better mpg and if the extra power is worth it to fitting a standard replacement?

be grateful to hear peoples experience with them and how they've got on, especially as going away I want the best balance of fuel and power but more importantly reliability, don't wanna come home on the back of an aa truck -my mates already have a wager on it!

cheers,
Mike

Just fitted twin webber 34ict's to our 1776, they need to be set up correctly with a synchrometer carb balancer and the manifolds to be connected with a balance tube otherwise they run like a pig.
The best person to ask is "afonso" on this forum he will give you the best info,He has been working on VW engines all his life and knows his stuff, my guess he will say stick with an original German pict 34 carb (dont buy the Chinese copy they are crap)
i see you are only in Appley Bridge, afonso lives in wrexham so not that far
If you need his phone number PM me and i will call him to see if its ok to pass his number on to you

Hope this helps
Bob

I've got twin 34 webers on my 1600 which I had to get rejetted when I bought them (main jet IIRC) but once set up properly, I've had no problems at all with them over the last 3 years/10k miles. I bought them new from Eurocarb with linkages etc so all complete.
Happy hols!
DON

vinvan said:
Just fitted twin webber 34ict's to our 1776, they need to be set up correctly with a synchrometer carb balancer and the manifolds to be connected with a balance tube otherwise they run like a pig.
The best person to ask is "afonso" on this forum he will give you the best info,He has been working on VW engines all his life and knows his stuff, my guess he will say stick with an original German pict 34 carb (dont buy the Chinese copy they are crap)
i see you are only in Appley Bridge, afonso lives in wrexham so not that far
If you need his phone number PM me and i will call him to see if its ok to pass his number on to you

Hope this helps
Bob

Thanks mate, pm sent 😁

009 said:
I've got twin 34 webers on my 1600 which I had to get rejetted when I bought them (main jet IIRC) but once set up properly, I've had no problems at all with them over the last 3 years/10k miles. I bought them new from Eurocarb with linkages etc so all complete.
Happy hols!
DON

Ah, I've heard alot of people say they're jetted wrong from eurocarb, they're a good price from there too don't get why people are buying the chinese ones?! Good to know though cheers man!

I am a big fan of the ICT's, they make decent power, very reliable when using a good quality linkage such as CSP Bellcrank and are good on fuel. Also they don't get clogged near as much as Dellorto's and IDF's.
I normally recommend them to people who wants to spend more time driving than fixing in the garage lol :mrgreen:
Abel

If the engine is bone stock then I’d get a remanufactured Solex from Rage. Fitted them to several buses and even 1 on my 1960 bug 2 years ago. Never had to touch them since, I’m a big fan of Weber IDF’s and IDA’s but in some situations stock is best suited to stock.

In regards to jetting, the set up Euro carb give is only a baseline guide. Every engine needs the jetting fine tuned to it, anyone says carbs are jetted out of the box are being generous with the truth. You could build 2 engines identical in every single aspect and it’s likely they will require slight differences in jetting.

Mikeoggie said:
009 said:
Happy hols!
DON

Ah, I've heard alot of people say they're jetted wrong from eurocarb, they're a good price from there too don't get why people are buying the chinese ones?! Good to know though cheers man!
Its down to cost and ability to get the twin carbs tuned properly. I think he means the empi 34pict 3 single carb copies. And for what it's worth, he's right. I have one on my TP and they are shit straight out of the box brand new. It runs almost as bad as the old worn out Solex that it replaced.
When I replaced mine...
Empi 34pict 3 was about £160 and should be tuneable yourself.
Twin webers were £400 new + another estimated £400 for the 1/2 day on a rolling road Inc. jets etc. to set them up correctly.
The only place near me, 36 miles away, is where racers and Evo/Supra/Scooby boys go so the prices are high.
If anyone knows of someone in Devon who can set webers up properly the old way and for a reasonable price then I might start saving for a set.
Cheers

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Latest posts