1/4 ligh window seals

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan barber

Reaction score
hi, my 70 delux has opening 1/4 lights down both sides, they leak a lot, will new seals sort the problem or do they always leak. also how do you fit em. tar

Fitted new seals on my '71 from vw heritage and they've been great!Saying that with the crusty old original seals(they're usually a bit past it on the imported us vans) they never leaked although looked crap! Fitting new seals is quite simple but you do need to drill the top hinge rivit out and then lift the frame away.While this is off, check for rust on the frame and repaint if possible. Then fitting the seals is a doddle, after that just re-rivit the top hinge and your sorted. Now i have no more draughts at 70 mph wasting the valuable heat the pathetic heater took 30 mins to churn out!And defo no leaks!
Before you do this tho, just check your 1/4 light frames are'nt damaged or twisted in any way as this may let in water! :D

also, see thread at top of page "how to remove windows from doors"

the Bentley manual also describes v. well how to take out and refit opening qtrs

cheers for that, what about the openable 1/4 lights in the rear side windows ,can they stay in while you change the seal? they dont have rivets as the front pair do but are somehow fixed top and bottom and pivot. thanks again.