1.5" 4-in-1 header, heat exchangers and single quiet muffler

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olaf/DFL

Reaction score
Hi there,

I´m looking for a exhaust system for my "soon to be 2007cc type 1 equipped" 1971 early bay. I want to use CSP high performance heat exchangers (1.5" J-tube), a 1.5" 4-in-1 header and a single quiet muffler for a "vintage" 1970s US-look. I don´t want a CSP Python, nor a Vintage Speed exhaust. Both are nice products, but don´t fit what I want my bus to look like.

Does anyone have mounted a similar exhaust system without destroying the engine mount bar?

Any help is very appreciated!

Thanks
Olaf

I had this set up which I purchased through Speedshop. It did not need any modification to the engine mount bar.

Disadvantage was significantly reduced ground clearance due to the exhaust hanging under the bumper and very high noise levels due to "quiet pack" being the opposite of its name.

Yes I fitted similar to my bay and at the time no one manufactured what i needed so used a beetle set up. Mark made me up a joiner with two flanges to go between the header and the back box to get the back box to sit flush with the rear bumper at the right angle. Most people don't do this set and ended up with the exhaust exit under the rear 1/4 of the van.

Have you seen this on here?
http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=42483&start=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f187/CHRISESLER/EasyExhausttwin2.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't know anything about the company, I've just been looking for my bus and found the thread. Follow up posts seem favorable.

Some news on my research. The upper header in the pic is the one which fits for early bays. The tubes for the rear cylinder must create a flat "V".
Does anyone knows a supplier for such a header? Some years ago the Bugpack headers had a similar design. Today they have a design like the second header in the picture.

20140120_194611bkbu7.jpg

what about the Justkampers stainless quietpack. or is that exactly what your not looking for?

Which diameter does the JustKampers stainless header have? 1 3/8" or 1 1/2"?
And does anyone fitted this header on his early bay? Does it fit without any mods?

Thanks
Olaf

it fits without mods! will measure the diameter if I pop down the unit later

WP_001390_zps5ce50070.jpg

WP_001372_zps41dad8c9.jpg

hell of a lot better than what it replaced!

WP_001388_zps95325d97.jpg

just realised I have unwittingly posted a pic of my bays private parts for the first time, always been too embarrassed to post on here on account of the fact you can't eat dinner off the engine bay valance !!

EDIT - according to jk website its 38mm = 1.5"

another option - http://vwspeedshop.com/product.php?productid=16724&cat=497&page=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The exhaust system (header and single muffler) from JustKampers and VW Speed Shop looks interesting.

weeboll, you haven´t run into problems fitting the header? I have had a look at the reviews at JustKampers and some report about trouble during fitting the header and heat exchangers.

Does anyone else have ever fitted one of these? Any further suggestions?

Now to fix that 'leftball' go fit a trailer hitch!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Good job I did think a 'True merged Header' would fit with it's long collector,,Sweet'
I found a old bugpack with a short collector for the mounting to clear a hitch,,but I'm thinking of a 2110 or a 2276 in the future 8)

I had to go through all that trouble with the engine bar cos I wanted a proper merged header as they make the best power.

Latest posts