1968 Savannah Beige Microbus from California

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

admwllms

Reaction score

We recently swapped our 71 UK poptop with a trader for this Microbus Deluxe from California.

It finally turned up seven weeks later than agreed and a few hundred quid over budget. Also, though we agreed it would be MOT'd and safe to drive, it has four knackered tires and won't really go into gear. Running but barely and will only just about idle after a good rev. Think the engine's decent though, just a case of sorting accelerator cable etc. Brake warning light is also coming on and I think possibly leaking brake fluid. :? So we've got a bit of a rush on to get it sorted and not ruin our first proper holiday in over two years!

It is proper sexy though, to be fair :D

Leaving the paintwork pretty much as is. The missus would like me to tidy up the bumper a bit and paint the overriders but the rest is staying put. Interior is a complete shell except two really worn front seats but we've got a bed, etc ready. Will be lowered a little. :msn4:

First job on saturday was I cleaned it as best I could where it was stood and hand polished and waxed it, cleaned the windows and gave the inside a good scrub (the first of many I'm sure!). Next, I put in a petrol cap, a new coil, an OG air filter, a distributor cap, and a rotor arm.

Played with the carb a little and it now runs and ticks-over. But still sounds rough as hell - heat exchangers are shot and rattling to make noise, new ones on the way but might need a cheap exhaust too, I think.

Fuel filter on way as it looks a little clogged, which should also help. Also fitting an electronic ignition. Added rims for the headlights since the above pic but they're the single-screw kind, think I need the three-screw. Did a few other tiny jobs too like fit (but not wire up) stereo, put grille mesh thing in. There was something else but I forgot.

Local tire place has kindly agreed to come and fit four new tires this week and I'm dropping forms down to the post office later to get UK plates today. Also, went to check on it after the rain and it's leaking pretty horribly in a few places. Will probably need quite a lot of new seals. Thankfully its a UK engine though and new fuel lines etc so none of those should be perished.

Okay, as mentioned in the technical thread, I sorted out my gear issue and it now drives. Fitted the missing tinware and heat exchanger pipes and had a bit more of a fiddle with the carb and it's now running reasonably well :D still a little rattly but will fix that with the new repro heat exchangers on their way and most important, when the docs come back from the DVLA we should be good to go for a spin :msn4:

Also did a few other little bits like fit the sliding door handle and door pulls. Bit of grease and the sliding door is working fine. Next up today is I need to find the key codes so I can order another, and order some door scrapers because when it rained water was pouring in the doors.

Thanks mate, I can't help myself and keep skiving off work to go and crack on with it this week :) It'll be a long road till its done but hopefully start running it soon.

Seats were a bit of a mess so I popped outside in between work to do some quick-and-dirty upholstery with a couple of coffee sacks from Brazil. Looks alright, I reckon. The towel in the door is because the window scrapers are leaking like crazy. Got to do that soon.

Looks great, would love to see some more photo's. I think the overriders look sweet as is. I did the same to my seats "Coffee Sacks", it was the best option for me at the time, and cheap. 3 years on from when my bus was imported and she is changing internally again. But totally with you on ensuring the outside stays as is, it shows character and makes her stand out.

Shavey said:
Looks great, would love to see some more photo's. I think the overriders look sweet as is. I did the same to my seats "Coffee Sacks", it was the best option for me at the time, and cheap. 3 years on from when my bus was imported and she is changing internally again. But totally with you on ensuring the outside stays as is, it shows character and makes her stand out.

Thanks, I love your bus too, was checking it out for inspiration. Me too, regret touching the overriders now, but you live and learn, eh? Not painting anything else on it. I guess I can always wait for them to rust again - can't take too long in Wales :)

Yeah I need to post some more pics, will get on it later today.

Installed an electronic ignition and the difference is amazing.

One question though: since doing the conversion, turning over the bus is very slow. It still starts, but the speed of turning over has slowed right down (If that makes sense?). I was thinking I might have just drained the battery a little by messing around and stopping/starting so much or maybe knocked an earth but could it be something else?

Also, put on the headrests I got from a show a couple of months ago on - dead comfy! Some more pics too.

Where it currently sits, outside my house.

Hadn't finished covering the driver's seat while this pic was taken, but these are the headrests - only 30 quid for the pair.

Still waiting for the new tires.

Panels look in good shape :D

Typical US bus knocks around bumper area.

Okay. Electrician came round yesterday. Ian of Air-cooled Auto Elec, in Wigan. Top guy, couldn't recommend enough. Anyway, he fitted a leisure battery system and realised my brand new fridge was broke :shock: but got on to Amazon and a replacement came today. Also, the registration came today, so I took it out for a spin to get plates and to the local garage to sort tracking. Still a little out so think I will have to pop back, but main thing is after four months without, we finally have transport.

Everything seems pretty much spot-on. Interior is going in this weekend then attempting a trip to Spain in just over two weeks :D Won't have time to fit the towbar or lowered beam before we go, just focusing on absolute essentials now and making sure its mechanically sound by taking lots of time off work for long road trips. Only issues so far are that the backing plates appear to be rubbing a bit. The whole bus needs a good grease I think, so going to sort that tonight and see what's what.

Lookin good!
Spain in 2 weeks sounds brave!
That'll be a good shakedown run :mrgreen:

Can i ask how long the DVLA took to get back to you with tge reg? Hoping to get a ticket on mine over next week or so. Got all other bits ready to go :)

Thanks, yeah I know! To be fair at the time the schedule was supposed to give us at least six weeks of running it as a daily but delay after delay ended up with a two week window. We almost cancelled but thought sod it, might as well have a crack (with breakdown cover).

Yeah it took me weeks because I had a load of issues. First the trader gave me wrong forms, then it turned out I didn't have correct title, then it turned out my MOT had wrong chassis number on it and finally the postal order got lost! Otherwise though I think it would have only taken around two weeks, if that, to get the registration - good luck!

admwllms" Yeah it took me weeks because I had a load of issues. First the trader gave me wrong forms said:
Sounds like you had a bad time of it with that trader you dealt with... That's a shame. You have a lovely bus out of the deal tho. Hope the Spanish trip's a good un!

2 weeks?!! I have the opposite trouble to you - everything's going quicker than expected... Shipping shoulda been 10-12 weeks, not 4. Was thinkin month plus on reg. I'm not ready for all this! :eek:

Thanks, yeah, can't fault the bus itself, very happy with it :D

I have been running it on a small private road for a few weeks and tinkering with it, getting it ready, but yeah, it's still very little notice and totally different to driving it to bloody Spain! Still, the last time we made it in a knackered old air-cooled T25 with a leaking petrol tank and very underpowered engine, so should be okay (I hope). I'd said I wouldn't do european breakdown cover but have decided to do it now.

Is that your new bus in your profile pic? Looks ace!

Breakdown cover sounds wise!
Yup - just started a gallery thread. Floor welding going on today so hopefully trying an MOT next week :D

Did quite a bit this weekend. Well, really my dad did practically all the work this weekend – in the process he drilled his finger and also sliced a muscle in his arm with a stanley knife, resulting in a trip to A&E. Looking good though! :D Door cards and cabinets (cooker, fridge etc) will be put in this week, but so far the headlining is in, the floor is in, the overhead locker and table holder are in, and the table can now be mounted into the floor. All the furniture bar the table was made by my dad, really pleased with the result.

Had some issues with the brakes and after investigation a wheel cylinder was totally shot. Also the trader snapped off a bleed nipple but getting them sorted on monday.

In more interesting news, the interior is almost there now. Cabinets and fridge etc have been installed! Saved a fortune making it all ourselves I think, which is good because lots of hidden bits have cost me a fortune – reckon it evens out :)

Toilet on the right and cooker on the left.

Smev sink and hob.

Chillaxing at the beach.

Needs new seals, a bit more TLC on the brakes and I reckon we should be okay for Spain next Friday. I'm taking most of the week off work to sort out any issues. Also, that pic reminds me I need to fit the bloody driver's side coffee sack properly.

Latest posts