1968 Savannah Beige Microbus from California

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow that's come together quick, nice work.Them units in the back look really smart, great job done.

I'm all for keeping the outside original and get similar comments from others when I stick it in a line up. It has all its battle scars and its part of its history and I wouldn't want to change it.

After 11 months we took ours to Euro Disney for our shakedown run, a few hairy moments but got to know the bus a lot better a lot quicker :D

Nugsy said:
Wow that's come together quick, nice work.Them units in the back look really smart, great job done.

I'm all for keeping the outside original and get similar comments from others when I stick it in a line up. It has all its battle scars and its part of its history and I wouldn't want to change it.

After 11 months we took ours to Euro Disney for our shakedown run, a few hairy moments but got to know the bus a lot better a lot quicker :D

Thanks Nugsy! Basically all the whole family has done for the last month is either work to earn money for parts for the bus or spend time fixing it up, put in crazy hours just on this so my mind boggles at the really big restros I see on here :D

Drove over to Cheshire in the bus to pick up a spare wheel and tyre from forum member kempy and got to check out his stunning white westy. Seriously, was thinking about that bus all the way home, it's perfect. This was the first time we'd had a good drive on a motorway and it ran fine. No worries cruising at 55-60 the whole way and checked the oil afterwards, didn't use any. Not as far as Spain, I know, but seems a good start.

Looking at the spare wheel made my scrappy looking ones look even worse, can't wait to get some decent wheels on. Reckon I'll go the steels route.

Well, we're off to Spain in the morning. A bit nervous about the relatively untested bus, the weather, the ferry strikes, and the fact that the roof rack didn't bloody turn up (gutted!) but hopefully all will go well and I'll be updating this thread with awesome photos :D

Fucking clutch cable has gone (I think!). Stuck in Corley services on the M6 and awaiting the AA but doubt they'll have a spare. I'm an idiot for not bringing one.

Thanks dude awesome pic! Going to Murcia to check out a house we've just agreed to rent from late September when we move there.

I was wrong about cable - obviously wasn't that cos I dipped clutch but was flapping so much I wasn't thinking. Turned out to be a pin missing out of linkage. Sorted now but AA noticed rear wheel cylinder was leaking.

Anyway my missus out a post on this page she's part of and a nice woman told me to speak to her husband who runs a local place. Can't remember his garage but seems really good guy and fair play he's trying to give us a hand now. Graham his name is, fingers crossed it works out and we can make the trip still.

Engine has been perfect and wha really galls me is I paid a local garage to check out brakes and they said all was cool.

Murcia! Ok, I'm impressed now.

No proper trip is complete without lying underneath at some point..I don't know why people lower their vans, makes roadside repairs more difficult.

sounds solvable so best of luck, will be great trip

thanks! Yeah quite a jaunt. Done it a few times before but not in this bus and not with my son. Really glad I invested in the European breakdown cover now in case anything else happens.

He's on the way now with a new cylinder. :)

Well the Graham in question turned out to be Graham L from midland early bay and, along with his wife Jenni. Honestly, I can't even begin to express our gratitude for these guys - they turned up on a Friday night to help us with our brake cylinder, a relatively minor thing, and ended up staying up until like 1am fixing a whole list of issues. They were brilliant and without their help there's no way I'd be writing this from near Milau bridge in the Pyrenees - not missed a beat since. Huge thanks guys!

Traveling companions.

Broken down in Coventry.

Midlands Early Bay to the rescue! We've made the ship.

First aire. It was brilliant though can't really tell from this pic.

The save my bug light came on briefly on the Pyrenees. Tbf it was 43 degree heat and just no air but it seemed fine.

Travelling and camping in Spain is crap compared to France in my opinion and though we've been coming here 15 years and are moving soon, we've never known such a hot summer (it's a decade-high heatwave here, like much of europe)

Finally at our destination, my grandparents' villa.

Solenoid went :( Should be okay. I've got euro cover and it just so happens that a local garage has a british air-cooled VW nut currently doing up a few campers, so should be back on the road by monday (and getting a free hire car).

Oh, forgot to mention that we also drive right through central Paris too. Here's the Champs-Élysées :D

Cheers! Lol that is with satnav :oops:

We're aiming to get the bus back tomorrow (just been waiting this long for a solenoid switch here in southern Spain) and headed back on the Bilbao ferry Sunday night so should be a shorter ride back. Never been that way in Spain though, so looking forward to seeing what it's like.

Should be good trip back through Spain, would be interested to know your route when you get time. Bilbao ferry is good one, have taken it a couple of times. Enjoy

admwllms said:
Thanks dude awesome pic! Going to Murcia to check out a house we've just agreed to rent from late September when we move there.

I was wrong about cable - obviously wasn't that cos I dipped clutch but was flapping so much I wasn't thinking. Turned out to be a pin missing out of linkage. Sorted now but AA noticed rear wheel cylinder was leaking.

Anyway my missus out a post on this page she's part of and a nice woman told me to speak to her husband who runs a local place. Can't remember his garage but seems really good guy and fair play he's trying to give us a hand now. Graham his name is, fingers crossed it works out and we can make the trip still.

Engine has been perfect and wha really galls me is I paid a local garage to check out brakes and they said all was cool.

With a worn or missing pin it is still possible to continue your vacation, just offer a fork like I did in my vacation :mrgreen:

Koppelingskabel1_zpsjbvuyktm.jpg

Koppelingskabel2_zpsynkjcshf.jpg

Koppelingskabel3_zpsxkjebcin.jpg

Koppelingskabel4_zps420plj60.jpg

Brilliant! I take my hat off to you sir :D

Got the bus back today - finally - and proceeded with cleaning it out after 5 days hard traveling and another 5 sat in the Spanish sun. If you're ever stuck in Murcia region would definitely recommend Decklid Autos in Mazarron. Got the starter replaced and the clutch adjusted. Driving great now. Gonna clean it tomorrow and then go out on Friday morning to do a little sight seeing, some really cool places I wanna take it before we leave on sunday night :msn4:

Amazing!! I'm very jealous, my Mum lives in the Murcia region, a little further inland, a little village in the mountains called Velez Blanco

Would love to take my bus over to her place, one day, maybe when the kids are older

Alistair

Awesome, would massively recommend the trip as long as you don't do it in the height of summer like we just did lol :) Let us know if you do, I'll be living here from late September so we can meet up for a cruise or something :msn4:

Latest posts