1969 Kombi "The Shitbox"

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fritz

Reaction score
Since there was some ranting in the General section about Lurkers, I thout I´d start a thread about my bus,as I have been lurking here for some time now :msn4:
It was originaly used by the swedish army on Gotland island in the balticsea untill 1975. After it had served its time in the army it was sold on to a civilian on the island and it stayed there untill the end of last century. Since they dont use road salt there it is quite rust free. I bought it in 2005 and I have been improving it ever since.

290_buss69.jpg

As it looked 4 years ago.

Bild023.jpg

a few years ago i bought this :)

Bild059.jpg

Last winter i broke out the angle grinder.

DSC00078.jpg

And this is how it looks right now, running brakes off a 1977 bay and 17" alloys, lowered a little.

I am going to start some rust repairs soon, so more to come :D

welcome to the crew mate, the very small crew of us on here who have cut the roof off their bay :shock: . glad the roof swap went well. get some more pix up of the rest of it. now youve stop lurking

Hi and welcome - nice looking bus you have there with some interesting history too :) Did the military make any modifications to it at the time?

Fritz said:
and it stayed there untill the end of last century.

Hehe - that comment made me do a double take - I am used to the turn of the century meaning 1900 :lol:

Thanks for the comments guys!
The military didnt make any mods to it exept for some metal plates stating max speed and max load. I wonder why they bought a neptune blue one and not a matt green.
I really wanted the sunroof so I just went for it and now Im glad I did, not only is it great in hot weather but the inner roof makes the bus better insulated aswell. Much nicer to sleep in it now.

I dont have many pics of the swap as i forget the camera when i get in to it. But here are a few.
Bild057.jpg

Bild048.jpg

Bild031.jpg

Here are some pics I took of it today.(mobile camera, sorry)
DSC00142.jpg

DSC00133.jpg

DSC00136.jpg

DSC00134.jpg

Latest posts