1969 Tintop Westy

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ted

Reaction score
Had it a few months now, thought it was about time to get a bit of a build thread up.

I bought it back in January, when someone started sniffing round the 71 Deluxe i was doing at the time. I started to look round at what else was available.
I had not touched the 71 for about 6 months, and i was that busy at work that i didn't know when i would get round to spending any time on it again, so when i saw this for sale i realised that i could have it on the road a lot quicker, so the 71 was on its way to pastures new.

This is how it looked when it was dropped off:

IMG_0650.jpg

IMG_0659.jpg

It is very solid and the interior is very tidy:

IMG_0683.jpg

IMG_0657.jpg

IMG_0658.jpg

IMG_0670.jpg

IMG_0649.jpg

IMG_0651.jpg

IMG_0653.jpg

IMG_0652.jpg

IMG_0654.jpg

IMG_0656.jpg

Unfortunately it was missing its wardrobe, but we soon got hold of one.

Set to getting it running better and promptly ran it in for an MOT, then armed with my failure sheet i set about making it road legal for the UK, which involved a couple of new tyres and some brake adjustment and changing the lighting to UK spec.

Once it was MOT'ed we got it registered and set about adjusting the ride height.

I wanted to get it sorted quickly, so i didn't do anything too radical, fitted a Slamwerks king and linkpin front beam with dropped spindles at the front. The rear got some chassis notching and a pair of Slamwerks adjustable springplates, i finished the package off with a set of fully polished American Eagle 5 spokes, with 165/50/15 front tyres, and 185/65/15 at the rear.

Its first real outing was to the Freddy Files in Ninove, i was a bit nervous driving it so far on its first major outing, but we got there and back no probs:

DSC00143.jpg

DSC00142.jpg

Ive not really done much more to it, but enjoy it.

Started changing a few bits and bobs on the interior to make it more original.

i changed the sliding door handle to the correct one:

DSC04190.jpg

Picked up a set of Dolly Daydreams repro curtains:

DSC04177.jpg

DSC04178.jpg

DSC04176.jpg

Just need to make a board for the closet window, and get the material on that.

We have enjoyed this bus more in the past few months than any other bus we have ever owned.
We made it to VW Elemental:

DSC04088.jpg

DSC04113.jpg

also Stanford Hall and Scarbrough, and camped just locally.

creationblue said:
Looking good Ted, cool Westy you have there, did you sort the wardrobe window?

Just

Not got it finished yet, tomorrow i'm going to try and finish the wooden panel, once i get it right i'll probably make it again out of birch, then try my hand at pleating

Love every thing about it, spent quite a bit of time looking at it when you were at elemental, just looks spot on!

Nailed Ted had a cheeky look at it in Ninove - Awesome , for one with windows :msn4:

Looks like a great bus you have got your self and the mods you have made suit it well 8)

Also good that you are enjoying using too :mrgreen:

not too much to report, changed the rear wheel cylinders last week as i noticed one of them was a little weapy, gave everything a good greasing and tightening while i had it up in the air, then saturday we drove down to Croyde ready for Big Sunday :D
traffic was terrible on the way down, but eventually we got set up to camp

DSC04192.jpg

right next to our latebay neighbours

DSC04193.jpg

had a cracking time at Big Sunday
didn't take many pics but here's a few

DSC04197.jpg

DSC04201.jpg

DSC04195.jpg

DSC04204.jpg

DSC04208.jpg

I was loving this 71 Westy

DSC04210.jpg

DSC04211.jpg

Hi,

Would have loved to see your bus - I only live down the road, I had tickets and everything, but baby has just chicken pox, so we arenot going anywhere. Looks like a really good turnout, with the SSVC on the OCD tour turning up, shame the weather was a bit grey (welcome to Devon!)

Cheers!

Alistair

Cheers for the nice comments guys

the notch and the ghia were very nice the notch was one of my favourites of the show.
Alistair, shame you couldn't make it, we have just been through the child/chicken pox thing, not fun, apparently best to get it out of the way though,
that's what people keep telling us,
time to give it a clean and get ready for Stonor park :D

Latest posts