1970 Early Bay hand brake cable

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlie1969

Reaction score
Hi

Just joined Early Bay.com after Doris recommended it to me.

As ever in the VW world advice is greatly appreciated especially after completing my 1969 1500 Beetle full resto last August in 10 months(day and night). Seems a distant memory now the better weather is coming so we can enjoy driving rather than restoring.
I have recently bought a 1970 Cali Westy import in very good condition and just needs respray and interior tidying up.

My problem is the bus has been lowered with creative torsion arms and the handbrake cable sleeve when I put it through the hole in the arm does not sit correctly in the tube and I can only just get the two nuts on in the cab. It seems as if the outer sleeve is not long enough when I put it through the arm.

Do I need to get a longer cable because of the modified suspension or is this normal. The previous owner who has done a great job mechanically on the bus let the Handbrake cable go under the torsion arms which made it rub on the inner wheel.

Thanks for now

My cable doesnt go through the hole, it goes under the springplate ... it shouldnt foul on the wheel though.

Clem said:
My cable doesnt go through the hole, it goes under the springplate ... it shouldnt foul on the wheel though.

Thanks for the reply

Have you got the creative adjustable springplates

It just seems to be very tight on the springplate when it goes underneath, but it did fit into the end of the tube.

Charlie1969 said:
Clem said:

Thanks for the reply

It just seems to be very tight on the springplate when it goes underneath, but it did fit into the end of the tube.

Yes, mine are Creative. It does sit against the plate, but it did sit against the standard one. There should be a chafe protection sleeve on the outer cable to prevent any damage. :)

Clem said:
Charlie1969 said:
Clem said:

Thanks for the reply

Yes, mine are Creative. It does sit against the plate, but it did sit against the standard one. There should be a chafe protection sleeve on the outer cable to prevent any damage. :)

Yes thats right, Do yours run close to the wheel rim

Hi there
I've just fitted T2D plates to the back end of my bus and the cable is now tight against the wheel. It was close with the stock plates and the balance weight caught the protective sleeve so I had to remove it (the weight) but since fitting the adjustable's its well tight, even against the plate itself!!

I did find out that I had 73 onwards torsion bars as the 68 plates didn't fit and as the 73 onwards are a longer arm I had put it down to those making the angle of the cable to the chassis more acute!! (i have also changed the brakes from narrow 5 back to wide so the angle on the old drums may have been different)

It would be great to know how you got on

Thanks, Wix

Latest posts