1970 Panel van - How to find & add windows

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orr_niall

Reaction score
Hi, I am toying with the idea of converting my 1970 LHD panel van adding 2 sets of rear and side windows to each side.
I have read a few threads and trawled google and YouTube but thought I would ask the people in the know.
Where do I start? Purchasing correct glass, seals, dimensions for the cuts etc etc.
I went to a local window fitting company and they won’t touch it, too fearful of being a few mm out and the seals not being water tight. Only option is to consider doing it myself and if the pro’s are dubious I want to know if it is possible and if it is worth it.
The van is an old west German fire engine, I don’t know if doing this will take away its character and devalue for the enthusiast if I do come to sell in years to come.
Any help and advise if much appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don’t do it. Panels are getting rare now and they don’t look as good when converted as the windows will be flush fitting and not recessed like a regular bus. Personally I’d sell it and get an actual window type 2.

Just my opinion however, it is your bus after all ;)

Your best bet would be to sell it mate and buy yourself a microbus or westy etc and enjoy factory glass... :)

I would say it'd most definitely loose some value and narrow down potential buyers if you ever wanted to sell it on

Thanks for the thoughts. I am unlikely to ever sell as been in the family since 2003 and passed on to me only last year. I am trying to keep it as standard as possible. Might just keep it as it is, focus on what else needs done to get it back to 100% condition. As you say very rarely see any panel vans on the road these days. With kids however side windows would be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As above ^^^ really, most peeps aren’t keen on a converted panel van even though there were quite a few done by various converters back in the day. If you run it as it is and go to a few shows with it, then have a look around and see for yourself what they look like especially when stood next to a genuine panel and or a genuine factory windowed bus. I have a converted panel van but I took the sides out of a factory bus and fitted them with the genuine windows. I got a piccy somewhere of me at a show with one side of each.

Ozziedog,,,,,, But that’s just opinions though :mrgreen:

Please keep your panel as is. As K@rlos said, panels are rare. I'm not a purist, but adding windows to a panel is the worst mod IMO. After having a 68 panel for over 6 years, I haven't seen another earlybay one on the road ... not one, and every other bus owner that I have met commented that they have never seen an earlybay panel.

Latest posts