• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

1970 RHD Early Bay Window Dormobile custom

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toastiemaker

Reaction score
Hi,
Up for sale here is Karl my 1970 RHD UK dormobile.
Unfortunately forced to sell him to help pay for our first house.

About my bus.
I bought it last year off a guy who bought it back to life with a bare metal restoration.
He's removed all the rust (and news paper) and has now made it a nice solid bus. Obviously being a British bus rust is always going to be an issue.

Since we've owned it we've had a new poptop canvas, bunk beds and sun awning made by a Leon from Concept poptops.
We had the wheels powder coated to match plus some chrome hub caps.

Just before we went to France on our big road trip I got the bus MOT'd so its got one until mid July 2011.
While we got that done I had the rear brakes rebuilt and hand brake adjusted.
Wheel bearings replaced.
On previous occasions I've had the steering tie rods replaced and flipped.
Had the tracking done.
Replace the 2 front tires
new shorter front shocks

I've also installed a fusion ipod head unit which allows you to plug in your ipod classics and run through the stereo.

The gearbox is really good. No gears pop out and there is no grinding of any sorts.

The engine that was in it was stuffed so its just had another 1600 twin carb put in. I bought it off my mechanic so he's checked everything and given it a good oil change etc. Has a heap more power than the old unit and will do 60mph quite comfortably. I think the carbs could do with a bit of a tune though as there a bit of a flat spot at low revs in 2nd.

All the work I've had done is documented.
I've also got the last couple of MOT's and some of the invoices from the guy that did it up. It includes a lot of the parts and replacement panels that he used on the resto.

The bus has a pair of 10" jbl subs, 6x9's and a small amp, plus some 5" in the front panels.

There are also some crazy led lights that change colour to the beat of the music if you're that way inclined.

Its got a new leisure battery on split charge which holds charge a lot better than the old car battery which means you can comfortably keep the inside lights on all night with out any issues.

It has the original cooker behind the passenger seat which comes with a small gas bottle. I've only used it once. We usually use a little portable one as its quicker to set up.

The Not so good.

The rear of the bus doesn't include the original units as they were had it. The previous owner copied the shaped in MDF and then covered with Beano comics. Having used the bus a lot there are a couple of areas that could do with recovering. We've got a couple of beano annuals spare. We were thinking of get a different top done but never got around to it.
The seats units are all original but I think the covers have been replaced. Again, there are a couple areas where the stitching is coming undone.

Some bastard has bumped past the drivers side rear panel and the paint has cracked a bit. The good news is that I have some of the paint left over if you have it repaired.

The bus also doesn't have the heating pipes. These were not replaced during the restoration.

Looking for around £8000 ono.
Based in Streatham South West London.
PM if you're interested or have any questions. Will be happy to answer them if I can.

Lastly, some recent pics.

DSC_7799.jpg

DSC_7774.jpg

DSC_7218.jpg

DSC_6799_2.jpg

DSC_0088-1.jpg

DSC_7205.jpg

Haha! I was about to buy this and you beat me to the post by a few feet you bugger!

He did a good resto on it too!

Good luck..

glad to hear your got a house sorted but sorry you have to sell it. the split i recently finished is also up for sale with its new owner.

loving the canvas and the wheels :)

if anyone wants pics of the resto i have hundreds somewhere on my pc

gl with the sale

It was for sale and then it wasn't and now it is again.

house, baby on the way and a wedding force sale! Gutted.

Took it for a spin over the weekend after a long break and was running well.

Congrats on the Baby and Wedding front, shame the bus has to go.

Loads of memories attached to this bus I bet.

A cool custom bus.

Latest posts