• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

1970 RHD Microbus Deluxe - testing the water

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bayview

Reaction score
Land of long white cloud (NZ) formerly Northallert
Hi, toying with selling my Oz import deluxe microbus/day camper which I've owned for a couple of years. I love it but I'm just not getting nearly enough use out of it. Barn stored, she only been used by me a handful of times. Just about to start work on the house so thinking we might get more use out of a crew cab - low light of course!.

She's a deluxe so has the chrome belt line trim (all there), vent trim, bumper trim, clock, two tone door cards etc...

The van is completely original. Never welded and wearing her original paint (Safari Green) apart from a repair to a ding just in front of the neaside rear arch. She's running on the original 1600 single port engine, solex 30 pict 2 carb, electric iginition, desert condition airfilter, beetletwin exhaust... She has servo brakes so stops very well. 45,000 on the clock - probably been round once although my mechanic said it could be actual given the state of the original brake pipes etc... No history with the van unfortunately.

The interior is original seating 8. Managed to source the very rare ZProducts hinges that allow the standard rear seat to fold down into a bed. The van is therefore not just great for ferrying family and friends around it can be used for camping without having to lose the middle seat. Also have a westy style cab bunk. New inertia seat belts all round (except middle two lap belts). Original Blaupunkt radio.

Headlinging has a couple of small holes. Now has original seats up front. Rear seats in very good condition. Window seals are all good with the exception of the quarter lights - I have replacements. Seal for sliding door a little perished but again have replacement.

No rust except for a small pach of surface rust on the belt line at the rear nearside window - put some Ankor Wax on as wanted to keep all original. There is the odd small scratch and ding but amzing condition for age. The top layer of paint has flaked off a patch on the front panel where I spilt some detergent - long story! - just needs blending in. I had planned to make good the ding by the sliding door mentioned prevously. The is a odd little crease on the nearside rear air intake - harldy visible. Other than these minor imperfections there is no work required to the body work. Waxoiled underneath. Mechanically sound - ready to roll.

gcw1186934.jpg

yug1186936.jpg

jqp1186935.jpg

nag1186937.jpg

Nearside corner trim now fitted

ptu1186938.jpg

rck1186939.jpg

Original single port engine. New electric ignition with Bosch Blue Coil. Replace pancake filter with original Oz spec oil bath filter.

kdh1186941.jpg

gvc1186942.jpg

Unbeliveably clean underneath - clear waxoiled for protection

ouz1186940.jpg

Z Product hinges from the States transform rear seat into double bed.

Looking for £7500. Wanted to see whether any fellow earlybayer would be interested prior advertising more widley or dare I say it sticking it on ebay (did you see how much the LHD resto deluxe went for last week!). On the hunt for a solid crew cab - would consider part exchange.

Cheers Tim

oh my god its like seeing a ghost !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i own the twin to your bus,same everything except mine a 71 disc brake jobbie,but mine lives with me in nz,but oh so freaky to see one the same colour and stuff.
i never could find out the colour so i take it that you know its safari green for sure.p.s awesome bus :D :D :D 8) :D if i lived in the uk again id buy it !!!!!

Thanks guys, did some research on period Oz paint codes and the only one I could find that came close was Safari Green (used on Type 3s) so not 100% sure. Meant to post the M codes on here as I know there are a couple of code breakers. Nz71delux would love to see some pics of yours - I've pm'd you.

that bus is lush! 8) note to self.............earn more! :(

hey bayview,i never got that pm,but id love to show ya some pix of my bus,but really need to take some nice ones first !!! ive got some but the bus isnt the main feature in the picture.ill try and take some this weekend and try and post them,have had problems before tryin to do it but ill give it another go.At a show last yr in auckland a guy with a split came over to me and said that my van was mango green,like his 60 split westy,but it looks a different shade to ours so im hoping somone on here can find out for sure.take it easy,levster,p.s that is one seriously sweet ass bus dude,dont sell unless you really have too ... :?

Dont know why pm didnt work???? If you decide to sell please give me a call on 01353 722761 evening or 07789 430 832 mobile.. Cheers

hmm, so what is it bayview, selling or not selling?

be a shame to lose you from the lineup - mind you, you never were any good at cruising :wink: :D

at least you don't plan to give up the vw for good. if i could come up with a good reason for owning a crewcab, then I'd probably have one! but you can't beat that camping interior

That is a lovely bus! 8)

If I didn't have my late bay, which I plan to sell quite soon, I would definitely be interested, as I love the deluxes, and at the same time I want a van to camp in. :D

Cheers guys, she is a sweet bus. Baron, I was wondering when someone from the deluxe gang would respond. Perhaps you could use a crew cab to carry all your retro gear - the rack must be overflowing by now :) . Hadn't realised how much the deluxe had got under my skin. Any deluxe line ups planned?

lol, I do like my retro kit :D the missus bought me a cracking suitcase for xmas, it's meant to be for kids...
sh-rear-window.jpg

the delux crew were all keeping quiet, you know what our view would be!! actually not sure whether kev has decided to sell hovis, we might have lost 2 of the crew if we're not careful! :)

no plans for a line up, though we might band together in the EB display at vanfest, an uber EB line up if you will :wink: :p

Hi guys,
this is my first post , so a quick hello to one and all :)

is this bus actually for sale yet
would like to know a bit more and a few pics of the rest of the interior
if it is for sale

many thanks Ernie

Once again, great looking bus. I'm now pretty sure its "VW" Safari Beige. (see this for a paint chip http://www.type3registry.com/reg_paint.php).
I say "vw" because there seem to be lots of different safari beiges out there. If you look at this (http://www.clubvw.org.au/colour_identification.htm) you can see that safari beige was the colour used for 1970 Aussie buses. My old 70 bus was Ascot Green and my current one was honey brown with antarctic white on top. It's just about to undergo a bare metal respray and its new colour is going to be (you guessed it) safari beige. Such a great colour. I'd never seen a safari beige bus before (only type 3's and even then the colour changed a fair bit) and seeing yours made up my mind. thanks.
Dave.
PS I don't know what your situation is so it's hard to pass comment, BUT you'd be mad to sell a bus like that in such pristine condition. :)

Welcome to the forum Ernie!. Decided to not do anything rash so not for sale at the mo. Weather permitting will take her camping this weekend- see how we get on. Thanks for the interest. Will bare you in mind if decided otherwise.

Dave, I agree almost 100% sure its safari beige. Keep forgeting to get the m codes. I've seen a couple of Deluxe's in the colour - NZ71Deluxe has the same. Love the honey brown also but the green seems to suit them perfectly. Make sure you share the results with us.

Tim

DON'T DO IT!!

Mind you - a crewcab would be useful for lugging the beer ;)

What's this about Kev selling hovis? Are you people mad?

I'm not sure we're going to be able to make VF this year :( Just realised we've asked the solicitor to push for a house move on the 7th September - my timing sucks :(

Latest posts