1970 tin top westy resto

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look fwd to it Panalvan,

Joe and Dave are top blokes and are putting a ton of effort into it, I would definitely recommend them to anyone.

Quick update

One side preparation 99% finished
P2010066.jpg

Interior work in progress.

P2010077.jpg

P2010068.jpg

Final bits of welding in engine bay
P2010076.jpg

Picked up the engine today!

P2010073.jpg

1776 SSP Remtec. The original tin ware will need a bit of modifying, but first it's off to the grit blasters over the weekend. Got a nice pair of DRLA40's from Eurocarb which are ready to fit.

Replacement tank arrived - not nearly as noisy as the last one..

P2010081.jpg

And today we decided at some point to hang the bus it from the roof and spray the underside while we're at it.. so much more to come...

Thanks very much,

Quick update....

Just picked up the tinware and wheels from the grit blasters - I'd love a job like that - spending all day turning crappy bits of metal into shiny ones.. simple things and all that..

P2040096.jpg

Prep' work started on the underside, it's more a case of cleaning & sanding than anything else.

P2040089.jpg

P2040091.jpg

The sliding door has been taken down to metal and is now ready for flattening..
P2040084.jpg

..and probably one more day required to totally smooth the passenger door...

P2040085.jpg

...and quite a bit more work required still on the drivers door

P2040093.jpg

Dave's made up a metal plate to fit inside the engine bay above the engine & we thought it would be a good idea to build a logo into it..

P2040087.jpg

We are aiming for two more weeks of prep' before the spraying begins! That's it for now.

Love it! its all about the details! :wink:

Quick update..

Dave dressed the engine to make sure all the tinware fitted - it did with a few mod's, any redundant holes were welded up to make it look as clean & simple as possible. We'll hide the coil round the back (?!) as long as I can get to it again!

dad48258a72ejpeg.jpg

The engine was then stripped again and the tinware and other bit's rubbed down and etched / primed ready for painting..

P2080098.jpg

P2080100.jpg

...meanwhile Joe's been cracking on with the bodywork, the front doors & sliding door is primed and ready to paint. The panel for above the engine has been finished off & primed and the VW sign in the middle looks great.

P2080104.jpg

P2080103.jpg

Joe's now started on the front..

P2080106.jpg

We sent back the bus boy's beam adjusters - they just didn't seem right - the milled teeth that are welded to the beam did not tie in well with the cast locking set. A set of CSP adjusters should be delivered any day so Dave can get to lowering it!

The stainless exhaust system just arrived from VW Speedshop. Not yet unpacked but the J tubes fitted fine and the silencer looks awesome.

That's it for now...javascript:emoticon(':D')
Very Happy

Your doing one hell of a job on this Bus and the attention to detail is superb.
With body preparation to this high standard the finished paint job should be excellent. It's all about the prep work :wink:

Cool mate some trick work going on there hopefully ill see it zipping around Suffook very soon :wink:

Thanks for all the feedback - very much appreciated. I swore that I wouldn't do another resto' that wasn't solid after my 67' Beetle started dissolving after a year having spent a bucket on it years ago...

Dave's started the final bit of welding on O/S rear corner & managed to keep the seam in tact...

11022008.jpg

11022008009.jpg

... and remade the battery tray ready for fitting..

11022008001.jpg

Both sides now 90% finished, primed and ready for paint...

11022008003.jpg

... final smoothing going on at the front end..

11022008012.jpg

And the CSP's have arrived so Dave can now start on the beam..

11022008010.jpg

Aiming to start painting next week, and today I ordered a hole load of Basket Weave and Smooth Grey TMI Vinyl and piping from the US of A for the interior!

That's all for now..

Only one word springs to mind......................... WOW! :shock:

Good work chap :D

Moving on a bit..

Reversing light hole covered and welded and corner finished...

corner5.jpg

corner2.jpg

15022008002.jpg

.. Battery tray back in, welded & primed..
corner1.jpg

15022008001.jpg

..the cover above the engine has been fitted and the VW sign is looking nice and subtle..
15022008.jpg

..Joe's finished the front and it looks like painting will start next week!!

15022008005.jpg

... if he manages to finish the roof...............

Again..... great work!

So impressed by the repair to the rear corner and reverse light blank.... absolutely invisible and no distortion at all either by the looks of it... very skillfull!

What technique was used? If only I could make repairs that perfect!

This is going to be one very nice bus when it is finished.... even as it is now I'm jealous! Can't wait to see pictures with the paint on.

Top job! :wink:

Thanks very much,

The blank was cut from another corner panel & Dave tack welded it first to stop any distortion before butt welding it - I guess through experience on working with this sheet thickness he knows the right power settings and wire feed rate (I haven't seen a gauge hidden away anywhere!)

If I were to do it it would end up a right old Sh*t pile...

I'm hoping for some paint to start touching the sides next week some time - I can't wait!

keep you posted..

Latest posts