1970 Utah Westy

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy1564

Reaction score
Hello people, got our 1970 westy about a month ago now.

IMG_1487.jpg

Having got it home started to give it a bit of a clean up and investigate what worked and what didn't! It needed new curtains, and the lino had seen better days so started measuring up for them and getting costs from various online companies when the girlfriends mother said she could make some curtains for us, and some new cushion covers to. That was the seed sown in my girlfriend Zoe's head and the interior project was on. In the last couple of weekends I've completely stripped everything out, given it a real good clean and then started putting everything back in.

Meanwhile Sandra, the girlfriends mother has been tied to a sowing machine working on our new textiles!!

Some pics of what I've done

10062010377.jpg

The starting point.

12062010405.jpg

Stripping everything out.

12062010428.jpg

Empty!!

30062010458.jpg

Coming together

30062010462.jpg

One of the new interior panels with the rear curtain, the old plywood ones were very water damaged so have replaced them with some new leatherette covered ones. Should the rear curtain be tucked as shown or should it be looped on to both runners??

30062010463.jpg

I've repaired the front of the sink unit as some of the veneer was coming away.

Got a few more bits to sort, but we're off to camp in it for the first time this weekend as its finally up to the missus' standard!!

Nice looking bus you got there.
Keep up the good work....can't beat the first trip away!
Took ours for the first time away to the Lakes the other week...great time, shite weather, several teething problems...loved it all though!! Even the day spent under it on the campsite!!

Lovely Bus there Dude. So that's what a bus floor is supposed to look like! My Swiss resto is sans a floor.
You've made a good job of the interior, but I am no Westy buff so can't help with curtain issue.
You could try looping it in, it will probably look a bit neater. :D

It's been finished for a couple of weeks now but finally i've got round to posting a few pics.

Now the interiors all sorted its time to try and get out and enjoy it before whats left of the summer is gone!!

25072010492.jpg

25072010490.jpg

25072010488.jpg

interior looks great - good work - loce the colour scheme - keep the hard work going bud!

Spent last weekend at Rutland Water, staying at the old rectory in Belton. Nice little site and pretty cheap.

couple of pics,

Parked up at Rutland water ready to head of for a bike ride
CIMG5851.jpg

Our pitch on site, the dog isn't as white as before after running 18 miles round Rutland Water!!
CIMG5868.jpg

Nice bus and Spinger we have exactly the same at home ! Loving the colours. Run some net curtain wire along the bottom edge of the curtains and loop teh fabric over so that the curtian is held against the side of the bus this will keep them in place.

Has your bus still got the Ebberspacher heater fitted? I would be very interested in some more pictures of the heater ducting and fittings that is fitted inside your bus under the Rock N Roll bed !

Thanks Peter

It hasn't got the heater anymore but the pipe work is still in place, for now anyway. Will try and get some pictures of whats under there for you.

Thought it was about time I brought this topic back to life.

Enjoyed the van for about 3 years before the UK winter weather started to catch up on it. Tinkered and played with it during the 3 years, changing the exhaust and adding a DAB radio. Also had it lowered at MEB with drop spindles and horse shoe plates

Time for a resto, after getting a few quotes ended up taking it to VW Aircooled Works. The results are below...

The day I dropped it off, stripped it out before dropping it in.

A few dents and marks to sort...

Rust

Work in progress - the "passenger" rear quarter was particularly time consuming

More WIP, At some point the van had been t-boned hence amount of work to rear quarter. Chassis had bent, etc. Drove fine though!

Colour - There is a hell of a lot of work from the above to the below. Other than a chassis rail, two front arches and a bit of a door skin its all original metal!!!

Being Painted

Rebuilt the engine at Pete's workshop. Made use of tools, workbench, knowledge, some sarcasm... Discovered it was a 1641cc not 1600 (SWEET!!!)

Engine back in

Sealed

Done, just like that!

Favourite Photo, Amazing Finish!

Back on the drive way

Can't thank Pete and Connor enough for the work they have done on my van, it looks brilliant and the fact there is still so much original metal in there is brilliant. They've also added a Fire Extinguisher system, split charge, rebuilt the brakes and done plenty more. Pete could probably talk for about 27 hours about the work they've put into my bus.

Next up is to get the Westy interior back in, Put in extra electrics and then take a trip to Ken's Custom's for door cards, head lining and upholstery.

thanks Andy and Zoe and it has been a pleasure restoring your bus, genuine people who love their VW. Which is great is a time when so many are being bought for investments, they are there to be driven and enjoyed.

Still cant believe you have replaced your wedding pic with the bus, oh well you will have somewhere to sleep if you get kicked out the house.

cheers
Peter
http://www.vwaircooledworks.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks awesome and love the colour. What a beauty!

it was great to get the chance to paint in original VW colour, montana red and cloud white. VW knew a thing or two about colour combinations.

What wasnt so much fun was the montana red paint originally contains Lead. So had to get an interior panel colour matched and formulated with pigments that wont make you crazy (ish). But was fun removing the old paint keeping it wet and wearing portective clothing.

Very important to be aware the paint from the 1950 to the 1970s may well contain Lead and Chromium so be careful.

Latest posts